Doctors Appointments. Is This True

3 hours ago, RJRB said:

The situation is that I have received a letter in late March asking me to make an appointment for an annual review.

The review itself is 3 months later than when it was due.

Anyway I have been ringing 4 days a week from. 8.30 a.m  with the following results.

1) Constantly engaged

2) Message to say all appointments for that day are taken

3) Most frustrating .... You are number 12 or whatever in the queue (success) and then the call is ended when you get down to number 4 in the queue.

However I then decided to call at the surgery to state the problem and to make an appointment in person.

The receptionist told me that this was not possible “Due to a Government instruction applicable from April” and that there was absolutely no alternative but to persist with the daily calls.

I have found an NHS site regarding appointments and can only see that a number of appointments are reserved for daily appointments,but other appointments may be made by calling at the surgery or by an App if available.

I would like to pursue this .

Is there anyone on the Forum that can give me a definitive policy please.

I would report the practise to the Area Health Authority and put it an official complaint.

You could drop a note into your surgery first to tell them what you intend to do.

I would be very surprised if you don't get an appointment without any trouble.

1 hour ago, Mandem said:

Our doctors now have an online form to fill in which I find is a breach of confidentiality.  For a start you have to explain what your problem is, surely this should be between your doctor and yourself, not for anybody else to know.  If you are unable (for some reason) to not manage the form, the receptionist will help you, therefore knowing what your problem is.  I find this unacceptable

That is unacceptable and I would refuse to do it.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

All I would say is that maybe a quick chat with the Practice Manager could iron this out, rather than going nuclear straight away and going to the "Area Health Authority".

Once I get past this bloody receptionist I will,mainly because in other respects I have never had any previous issues with appointments or the doctors.

1 minute ago, RollingJ said:

I agree @HeHasRisen - but you know what some receptionists can be like.

Oh of course. For the record mine hasnt asked me what the issue is ever, and has just put me on the callback list.  So it varies wildly, seemingly.

2 minutes ago, RJRB said:

Once I get past this bloody receptionist I will,mainly because in other respects I have never had any previous issues with appointments or the doctors.

There should be an email address for the surgery floating around somewhere, failing that write a letter. 

2 hours ago, Mandem said:

Our doctors now have an online form to fill in which I find is a breach of confidentiality.  For a start you have to explain what your problem is, surely this should be between your doctor and yourself, not for anybody else to know.  If you are unable (for some reason) to not manage the form, the receptionist will help you, therefore knowing what your problem is.  I find this unacceptable

Quite agree,  and if the receptionist leaves she takes with her/him the information which should be confidential,  and then the next receptionist can do the same and so on.

56 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

There should be an email address for the surgery floating around somewhere, failing that write a letter. 

Tried that.

Just a phone number and a Telex Number.😳😂

There is an online form for helpful comments but expressly not for complaints.

So I tried to phrase my submission helpfully and in some detail........only to find that the “Send “ button was greyed out and would not function!

I will call by in the next day or two and report back.

• Like 1