Diane Abbott Has Labour Whip Suspended

19 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Did Starmer send that letter into the paper on Diane's behalf then?

Twice as well!

Diane Abbott sent Observer letter twice, raising doubts over 'draft' claims

https://www.thejc.com/news/politics/diane-abbott-sent-observer-letter-twice-raising-doubts-over-draft-claims-3hCBdkWRfU9P5xJloIPUEa

Last week, on the anniversary of the murder of Stephen Lawrence, she was blaming kids having nothing to do for the rise in knife crime.   

The other race card player David Lammy said the same.

I remember growing up on the Badger estate in the 70s and 80s. We didn't have much to do, we hung around the streets.  But oddly we didn't go into the kitchen for a carving knife to stab our peers.

Shame Lammy forgot he said this:

David Lammy MP says absent fathers 'key cause of knife crime'

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-19815831

Edited by alchresearch

26 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

Come on lass . She’s been rounded on by most normal thinking people.  Even if it is Starmers crusade , she has handed him the bullets ( maybe on purpose).

She obviously didn't expect the reaction she got.

Was she being naive, or seriously not intending to be offensive?

I haven't read the letter, just heard the offending bit. Was it that Bad that she should have been suspended? 

(I can't believe I'm defending Diane Abbott... but I am defending freedom of speech.) 

10 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I haven't read the letter, just heard the offending bit. Was it that Bad that she should have been suspended? 

(I can't believe I'm defending Diane Abbott... but I am defending freedom of speech.) 

Its here

https://www.theguardian.com/theobserver/commentisfree/2023/apr/23/success-for-women-not-same-as-for-men-letters

I can see what she was trying to say, but as usual she was VERY clumsy about it, and wrong.

Edited by melthebell
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I can .

8 minutes ago, Anna B said:

With 'freedom of speech' comes a responsibility to not knowingly cause offence/incite trouble.

12 minutes ago, RollingJ said:

With 'freedom of speech' comes a responsibility to not knowingly cause offence/incite trouble.

Actually there is no law that says you can't cause offence

Not yet anyway. ...I know there are certain people who stupidly want to bring in those laws 

But at the moment no one has the right not to be offended 

Diane Abbott can say what she likes....what is questionable is has she breached a code of conduct 

So that's work related she's not broken the law 

Edited by Jack Grey

5 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Actually there is no law that says you can't cause offence

Not yet anyway. ...I know there are certain people who stupidly want to bring in those laws 

But at the moment no one has the right not to be offended 

OK, I agree there is no law against 'causing offence' and there shouldn't be - how would you police it? - BUT the second half of that (which you conveniently snipped) certainly is covered by a number of existing laws.

EDIT (for your edit) If the Labour Party believes she has 'brought them into disrepute' or whatever, then she has broken the rules, and can/hopefully will, be dealt with accordingly.

Edited by RollingJ