Relationship Between 'Culture War' Debates And Hate Crimes

13 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Some people are not liked not because of their sexuality, colour, race etc. but because of their personality or behaviour.

very true ! and usually the individual has an axe to grind of some sort which makes them more obnoxious, take sam smith for example, used to be a decent singer, now appalling with his silly outfits and pontificating?

• Like 1

22 hours ago, Mister M said:

I don't think anyone sane would suggest otherwise. However in the past few years some of the media have been piling in on this debate, and highlighting the threats against J.K Rowling which are appalling. However they're not so keen to highlight the physical attacks against trans people.

Similarly with disabled people, the're quite happy to inflame the debate by calling then spongers, scroungers and workshy, but seem very coy about reporting the rise in attacks against disabled people and why that might be the case. ...

You know, I'm not sure that's the case, though I'd happily be proved wrong. Assaults against disabled people would surely be such an emotive issue that the media would inevitably seek to highlight it, if in some cases only from a cynical desire to reap the rewards of clicks from sympathetic readers.  Similarly for assaults against trans people, particularly as the issue is such a hot potato with column inches to be scored on both sides.

However, I don't doubt the partisan nature of some of the coverage; I just did a quick search on The Guardian and couldn't find reference to the recent assaults of veteran Stonewall activist Fred Sargeant nor of gender-critical  athlete Riley Gaines, though both were covered elsewhere.

9 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

They are applauded by the massive majority

It's only probably about 1% of the population who vilify it, and you will find that they all look alike.  Ugly, pink hair, no life etc etc.

If you take a close look at the attacks on social media of gender-critical women, and listen to those who've been on the receiving end of such attacks for longer than most people have been aware of the issue, the vast majority of the abuse  - and that which gets the most traction - comes from left-leaning men who align themselves as allies and activists.  In a previous incarnation, and in some cases - and somewhat ironically - still, they'd have called themselves feminists and champions of women's rights.

• 7 months later...
On 24/04/2023 at 12:46, L00b said:

Fascism never comes to the fore as fascism. It always comes to the fore as the contrarian friend, finger-pointing at all those others who have it better than you because they are different, whispering in your ear all along about all that jam that you could have tomorrow if it weren’t for those others.

Well said that L00b

On 24/04/2023 at 11:01, Mister M said:

I'm aware that over the last number of years there has been an increase in the profile of trans rights, and the lack of them. By happenstance, I was reading an article on the BBC website on the rise in recorded hate crimes, particularly against trans people.  "Crimes against transgender people saw the biggest rise, with 4,355 reports, up 56% from the previous year."

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-63157965

Similarly there was a rise against the disabled against a backdrop of austerity, and debates about "strivers vs skivers". MPs have also raised concerns of a rise in the number of their disabled constituents being pushed out of their wheelchairs, facing verbal abuse, blocked from accessing disabled ramps and being denied a seat or space on public transport. One MP Peter Dowd,  quoted findings from research by the Disability Hate Crime Network which showed that a large amount of the underlying motivation for disability hate crimes is the view that disabled people are on benefits and are therefore lazy and “scroungers”. 

I suppose it's common sense that this ramping up of the rhetoric in national debates is bound to spill over into actual attacks....

How are you defining a hate crime ?

On 24/04/2023 at 12:46, L00b said:

Fascism never comes to the fore as fascism. It always comes to the fore as the contrarian friend, finger-pointing at all those others who have it better than you because they are different, whispering in your ear all along about all that jam that you could have tomorrow if it weren’t for those others.

Mussolini, amongst others, would beg to differ

Edited by Chekhov

28 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Mussolini, amongst others, would beg to differ

Yeah right:

When dealing with such a race as Slavic—inferior and barbarian—we must not pursue the carrot, but the stick policy ... We should not be afraid of new victims ... The Italian border should run across the Brenner Pass, Monte Nevoso and the Dinaric Alps ... I would say we can easily sacrifice 500,000 barbaric Slavs for 50,000 Italians ...

— Benito Mussolini, speech held in Pola, 20 September 1920