Virgin Money Debit Card In Eu

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

If you are making transactions in foreign currency, especially large ones, and don't spend at least 5 minutes checking the terms, more fool you. 

Not quite sure why a camper van is attracting a foreign transaction fee though. What has New Zealand got to do with it, have you forgotten to type a word or two? 

>>If you are making transactions in foreign currency, especially large ones, and don't spend at least 5 minutes checking the terms, more fool you.<<

It is not the camper van supplier charging me, it is my bank.

With my Debit card the same bank charged me a foreign transaction fee as a flat rate, which is why I was soddin' annoyed we had to pay the Utrecht bus fare with a card.

This time (albeit on a credit card not a debit card, but with the same bank) it appears to be as a percentage.

I feel have a right to be annoyed as I seem to have been screwed both ways.

But this is the kind of trolling answer one often gets on the internet, a bank rips you off for charges, and I am at fault for not researching all the small print of all the cards available.

At the end of the day life is just too bleedin' complicated.....

>>Not quite sure why a camper van is attracting a foreign transaction fee though. What has New Zealand got to do with it, have you forgotten to type a word or two?<<

I was charged in a non sterling currency, though interestingly it was actually in Euros (not NZD) as the camper van agency was actually based in the EU.

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

>>If you are making transactions in foreign currency, especially large ones, and don't spend at least 5 minutes checking the terms, more fool you.<<

It is not the camper van supplier charging me, it is my bank.

I know that. So you should have checked before doing it. There are numerous fee free foreign currency debit and credit cards out there, do some research.

And yes, its usually flat fee on one and a percentage on another.

Edited by HeHasRisen

21 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

At the end of the day life is just too bleedin' complicated.....

No, it is not.  That's just the lame excuse that gets dragged out whenever people try and cover up for their own failure or justify their deluded entitlement.

It's surely common sense for people to properly read the terms of something they are signing up to or doing a bit of research or shopping around before performing some transaction. Especially if it's going to be high value.  

You scream "....do they seriously think people know this or have time to research it..." and the answer is yes, of course they do.  Anyone with half a brain is going to properly check the most appropriate way of paying for something, even more so if it is in foreign currency.

The bank is providing a service to you, and like all businesses they are going to charge people for performing such services, unless they choose to offer something free for selected customers on selected products.

They are a business. They are there to make profit from the services they offer customers.  Clearly as a successful businessman yourself, you of all people should understand that. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

No, it is not.  That's just the lame excuse that gets dragged out whenever people try and cover up for their own failure or justify their deluded entitlement.

It's surely common sense for people to properly read the terms of something they are signing up to or doing a bit of research or shopping around before performing some transaction. Especially if it's going to be high value.  

You scream "....do they seriously think people know this or have time to research it..." and the answer is yes, of course they do.  Anyone with half a brain is going to properly check the most appropriate way of paying for something, even more so if it is in foreign currency.

The bank is providing a service to you, and like all businesses they are going to charge people for performing such services, unless they choose to offer something free for selected customers on selected products.

They are a business. They are there to make profit from the services they offer customers.  Clearly as a successful businessman yourself, you of all people should understand that. 

This is cobblers.

I would bet you large amounts of money most people have no idea how much their banks are charging them for anything.

And and even smaller number read all the small print they're sent.

The fact is the banks, and many other (borderline unscrupulous) businesses take advantage of customers - esp their older loyal customers - to fleece them.

17 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

This is cobblers.

I would bet you large amounts of money most people have no idea how much their banks are charging them for anything.

Well that is their problem isnt it? The same people who no doubt just blindly renew their car insurance with the same provider year on year and are no doubt paying hundreds over the odds.

People need to take responsibility for their own affairs.

There is no harm being savvy about your own finances. My electric is 17.6p per unit today from the grid, about 16p lower than about 95% of the population.  My gas is 4.3p. How much is your gas today, assuming you have it?

Edited by HeHasRisen

On 15/05/2023 at 14:35, HeHasRisen said:

Well that is their problem isnt it? The same people who no doubt just blindly renew their car insurance with the same provider year on year and are no doubt paying hundreds over the odds.

People need to take responsibility for their own affairs.

There is no harm being savvy about your own finances. My electric is 17.6p per unit today from the grid, about 16p lower than about 95% of the population.  My gas is 4.3p. How much is your gas today, assuming you have it?

It's not the same thing at all.

I would say a relatively high proportion of people compare the price of car insurance every year, esp when it goes up. Mainly because it's obvious what they are paying and it's all being paid in one lump sum.

Many people on here have admitted they don't even check their bank statements, hence the reason poxy £1 transactions spamming their statements up are of no concern to them. But even if you do check through your statements, as I do, the fees are often hidden, you have to go into the transaction to see the foreign transaction fees, i.e. you have to go looking for them.

>>There is no harm being savvy about your own finances.

My electric is 17.6p per unit today from the grid, about 16p lower than about 95% of the population.  My gas is 4.3p. How much is your gas today, assuming you have it?<<

There certainly is not, but there is something wrong in being smug and criticising others in an arrogant way. In fact, you and people like you searching out the best deals, are actually doing us all a favour by encouraging businesses to offer better deals. The problem is banks hide their fees as I have explained and make life complicated by having loads of products and constantly changing their rates to rip off loyal customers, it isn't like electricity where this is your rate and it's easy to compare.

I pay 17.2 p per unit because I fixed it back in July 2021. But that is coming to an end in 7 weeks, where do you get elec at 17.6p per unit, when did you fix it and when is it due to expire ?

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

It's not the same thing at all.

I would say a relatively high proportion of people compare the price of car insurance every year, esp when it goes up. Mainly because it's obvious what they are paying and it's all being paid in one lump sum.

Many people on here have admitted they don't even check their bank statements, hence the reason poxy £1 transactions spamming their statements up are of no concern to them. But even if you do check through your statements, as I do, the fees are often hidden, you have to go into the transaction to see the foreign transaction fees, i.e. you have to go looking for them.

>>There is no harm being savvy about your own finances.

My electric is 17.6p per unit today from the grid, about 16p lower than about 95% of the population.  My gas is 4.3p. How much is your gas today, assuming you have it?<<

There certainly is not, but there is something wrong in being smug and criticising others in an arrogant way. In fact, you and people like you searching out the best deals, are actually doing us all a favour by encouraging businesses to offer better deals. The problem is banks hide their fees as I have explained and make life complicated by having loads of products and constantly changing their rates to rip off loyal customers, it isn't like electricity where this is your rate and it's easy to compare.

I pay 17.2 p per unit because I fixed it back in July 2021. But that is coming to an end in 7 weeks, where do you get elec at 17.6p per unit, when did you fix it and when is it due to expire ?

I haven't fixed it. Octopus Tracker. I may have mentioned it about 10 times in the Energy thread before Octopus put a waiting list on the tariff.  I wager not a single person on here took my advice, too blindly accepting quarterly billing at a 7% premium. 

Oh and to the rest of your post: of course it's exactly the same. It's called being responsible for your own finances.

Edited by HeHasRisen

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

of course it's exactly the same. It's called being responsible for your own finances.

"The problem is banks hide their fees as I have explained and make life complicated by having loads of products and constantly changing their rates to rip off loyal customers, it isn't like electricity where this is your rate and it's easy to compare."

10 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

"The problem is banks hide their fees as I have explained and make life complicated by having loads of products and constantly changing their rates to rip off loyal customers, it isn't like electricity where this is your rate and it's easy to compare."

No they dont. They are freely available in the terms and conditions they have to make available to customers, by law.  And, as you found out, they could even tell you on the phone. 

Do you want to repeat that a third time?

If you really made a 7k (?) foreign currency purchase without making at least a cursory effort to even check if this would attract a percentage or flat fee, more fool you.

Edited by HeHasRisen

On 19/05/2023 at 15:23, Chekhov said:

On 19/05/2023 at 15:29, HeHasRisen said:

No they dont. They are freely available in the terms and conditions they have to make available to customers, by law.  And, as you found out, they could even tell you on the phone. 

Do you want to repeat that a third time?

If you really made a 7k (?) foreign currency purchase without making at least a cursory effort to even check if this would attract a percentage or flat fee, more fool you.

You really are a troll.

You are saying the banks do not try and hide their charges ?

Fact 1 - I have had my new card through.

Apparently the old one was an "RBS Platinum card" (I only found that out by reading the info on my Online banking age).

My new one, which is apparently a "Royal Bank credit card", looks exactly the same as my old one. And I mean exactly the same, none of the wording is different in any way at all. Yet one charges me about 2% foreign transaction fee and the other does not.

Fact 2 - The fact a foreign transaction fee is levied on anything is not immediately apparent from my Online bank statement. You have to open up the transaction to see it.