Noam Chomsky Claims Jeremy Corbyn Won An 'Enormous Victory' In The 2017 Election

10 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

American writer and “public intellectual” Noam Chomsky has insisted that Jeremy Corbyn won the 2017 general election in an "enormous victory."

7 hours ago, Anna B said:

Noam Chomsky is correct. 

Labour didnt win the election. 

You and Noam Chomsky are wrong

The end, nothing else is factually correct

3 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Sorry Anna but that post is just littered with paranoia and extreme exaggeration of his popularity.

"The young voters loved him and backed him wholeheartedly, as did most of the rapturous crowds who saw him live"

Where did you steal that line from, the Che Guevara fan club?

No, I was at the rally he did in Sheffield. I saw him at Glastonbury speaking to thousands, I followed him on line and everything he did. 

Remember he was voted into the position of leader by the general public who were joining the Labour party in droves so they could vote for him. The Labour party under Corbyn became the biggest party in Europe. He galvanised politics like no one before or since. He was phenomenal. 

What Noam Chomsky says was also said at the time of the 2017 election, but has been drowned out since, but it's there on line if you care to check. It roused the sleeping politicians who regarded him as a no hoper until this, but they can recognise a serious threat when they see one and so commenced his downfall with a media campaign which was all lies. 

Edited by Anna B
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Anna B said:

No, I was at the rally he did in Sheffield. I saw him at Glastonbury speaking to thousands, I followed him on line and everything he did. 

Remember he was voted into the position of leader by the general public who were joining the Labour party in droves so they could vote for him. The Labour party under Corbyn became the biggest party in Europe. He galvanised politics like no one before or since. He was phenomenal. 

Then why didnt they vote for him? Didnt galvanise them that much to persuade them to go to the voting box did he

Labour had 3 times the membership of the Tories

And lost.

Twice.

To Theresa May and Boris Johnson

Says it all

22 minutes ago, Anna B said:

What Noam Chomsky says was also said at the time of the 2017 election, but has been drowned out since, but it's there on line if you care to check. It roused the sleeping politicians who regarded him as a no hoper until this, but they can recognise a serious threat when they see one and so commenced his downfall with a media campaign which was all lies. 

Obviously not.

A rally in Sheffield and Glastonbury is hardly a ringing enforcement is it.

Be like saying Boris Johnson got a rousing reception at the young conservatives convention.

Edited by Al Bundy

42 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

Then why didnt they vote for him? Didnt galvanise them that much to persuade them to go to the voting box did he

Labour had 3 times the membership of the Tories

And lost.

Twice.

To Theresa May and Boris Johnson

Says it all

This is why: Wikipedia 

Media coverage

Analyses of domestic media coverage of Corbyn have found it to be critical or antagonistic.[4][5] In July 2016, academics from the London School of Economics published a study of 812 articles about Corbyn taken from eight national newspapers around the time of his Labour leadership election. The study found that 75 percent of the articles either distorted or failed to represent his actual views on subjects. The study's director commented that "Our analysis shows that Corbyn was thoroughly delegitimised as a political actor from the moment he became a prominent candidate and even more so after he was elected as party leader".[153][154]

Another report by the Media Reform Coalition and Birkbeck College in July 2016, based on 10 days of coverage around the time of multiple shadow cabinet resignations, found "marked and persistent imbalance" in favour of sources critical to him; the International Business Times was the only outlet that gave him more favourable than critical coverage.[560]

In August 2016, a YouGov survey found that 97% of Corbyn supporters agreed that the "mainstream media as a whole has been deliberately biasing coverage to portray Jeremy Corbyn in a negative manner", as did 51% of the general "Labour selectorate" sample.[561][562]

In May 2017, Loughborough University's Centre for Research in Communication and Culture concluded that the media was attacking Jeremy Corbyn far more than Theresa May during nine election campaign weekdays examined.[563] The Daily Mail and Daily Express praised Theresa May for election pledges that were condemned when proposed by Labour in previous elections.[564]

In February 2018, Momentum reported that attacks on Corbyn in the press were associated with increases in their membership applications.[565] In September 2019, Labour leaders argued that traditional mainstream media outlets showed bias.[566]

In December 2019, a study by Loughborough University found that British press coverage was twice as hostile to Labour and half as critical of the Conservatives during the 2019 general election campaign as it had been during the 2017 campaign.[567]

In an interview with Middle East Eye in June 2020, Corbyn described the media's treatment of himself while he was Labour leader as obsessive and "at one level laughable, but all designed to be undermining".[568] He said that the media coverage had diverted his media team from helping him pursue "a political agenda on homelessness, on poverty in Britain, on housing, on international issues" to "rebutting these crazy stories, abusive stories, about me the whole time".[568] He said he considered suing as a result of media treatment but was guided by advice from Tony Benn, who told him, "Libel is a rich man's game, and you're not a rich man [...] Go to a libel case – even if you win the case, you'll be destroyed financially in doing so".[568] Corbyn had in fact taken legal action against Conservative MP Ben Bradley during his leadership 

Edited by Anna B

26 minutes ago, Anna B said:

I bet all those young people who saw him at Glastonbury are now married with kids and have mortgages and pay taxes 

They wouldn't vote for Corbyn now because they know the realities of being an adult with responsibilities 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Anna B said:

This is why: Wikipedia 

Media coverage

Analyses of domestic media coverage of Corbyn have found it to be critical or antagonistic.[4][5] In July 2016, academics from the London School of Economics published a study of 812 articles about Corbyn taken from eight national newspapers around the time of his Labour leadership election. The study found that 75 percent of the articles either distorted or failed to represent his actual views on subjects. The study's director commented that "Our analysis shows that Corbyn was thoroughly delegitimised as a political actor from the moment he became a prominent candidate and even more so after he was elected as party leader".[153][154]

Another report by the Media Reform Coalition and Birkbeck College in July 2016, based on 10 days of coverage around the time of multiple shadow cabinet resignations, found "marked and persistent imbalance" in favour of sources critical to him; the International Business Times was the only outlet that gave him more favourable than critical coverage.[560]

In August 2016, a YouGov survey found that 97% of Corbyn supporters agreed that the "mainstream media as a whole has been deliberately biasing coverage to portray Jeremy Corbyn in a negative manner", as did 51% of the general "Labour selectorate" sample.[561][562]

In May 2017, Loughborough University's Centre for Research in Communication and Culture concluded that the media was attacking Jeremy Corbyn far more than Theresa May during nine election campaign weekdays examined.[563] The Daily Mail and Daily Express praised Theresa May for election pledges that were condemned when proposed by Labour in previous elections.[564]

In February 2018, Momentum reported that attacks on Corbyn in the press were associated with increases in their membership applications.[565] In September 2019, Labour leaders argued that traditional mainstream media outlets showed bias.[566]

In December 2019, a study by Loughborough University found that British press coverage was twice as hostile to Labour and half as critical of the Conservatives during the 2019 general election campaign as it had been during the 2017 campaign.[567]

In an interview with Middle East Eye in June 2020, Corbyn described the media's treatment of himself while he was Labour leader as obsessive and "at one level laughable, but all designed to be undermining".[568] He said that the media coverage had diverted his media team from helping him pursue "a political agenda on homelessness, on poverty in Britain, on housing, on international issues" to "rebutting these crazy stories, abusive stories, about me the whole time".[568] He said he considered suing as a result of media treatment but was guided by advice from Tony Benn, who told him, "Libel is a rich man's game, and you're not a rich man [...] Go to a libel case – even if you win the case, you'll be destroyed financially in doing so".[568] Corbyn had in fact taken legal action against Conservative MP Ben Bradley during his leadership 

Lol - Really?

How about this

This Is Why: FACTS

Despite been the biggest party in Europe as you love to claim Labour could not persuade enough people to vote for them to win the election.

but if you really want to look at what you posted.

The labour leadership election - He won due to the unions and their block votes

His own MPs knew he couldnt win an election thats why they voted 172 - 40 for him to go. He ignored this

His own shadow cabinet resigned en masse when he was elected leader because they knew he was useless

" a momentum report" so a report form the organisation supporting him and basically his enforcers within the Labour Party trying to quell anyone who didnt support him (as you claim Starmer is doing now) is a source of evidence? thats like the SY Mayors report saying "SYPTE is useless so the best thing for it is for us to take it over. "

Corbyn felt in 2020 (after 2 election defeats) that he was unfauirly treated. Course he would - he lost - twice

Ive been very open in the fact that Corbyn is the reason i wouldnt vote Labour while he was in charge even though i had in the past. that had nothing to do with the media, much more to do with himself and his dithering about on brexit in 2019 failing to commit to what he would do when asked point blank (thats not biased media reporting, that was him failing to answer a question or did they edit his live replies on air) and unrealistic plans (free broadband, no student loans, unicorns for everyone) in 2017

Let me ask you a question then

Labour membership increased to half a mill in 2017

Labour votes went up 3.5 mil from 2015

So what influenced the 3 million extra voters? Was that the media too or is it only people voting against Labour that are brainwashed by the media

2 hours ago, Anna B said:

You saw him at Glastonbury , speaking.  
The thousands were there for something else.