Bank Of England Says People Need To Accept They Are Poorer

14 minutes ago, Mister M said:

But what you're doing there is setting up 2 extremes one being the  'winner takes all' society, the other being the old USSR, while ignoring the fact that other countries, in today's world,  with lower levels of income inequality are more prosperous on many metrics including economic growth. Which is the point I was making initially.

There are variations in everything because of varying factors.

1 minute ago, harvey19 said:

Just reality.

No the statement "there are variations in everything because of varying factors" is tautological.

Besides which why would any Government enact any policy in the hope of change on the basis of "there are variations in everything because of varying factors"?

5 minutes ago, Mister M said:

No the statement "there are variations in everything because of varying factors" is tautological.

Besides which why would any Government enact any policy in the hope of change on the basis of "there are variations in everything because of varying factors"?

Simple example.

Different countries operate their countries because of different tax systems and payments.

1 minute ago, harvey19 said:

Simple example.

Different countries operate their countries because of different tax systems and payments.

And lead to outcomes which are more desirable for a greater number of people.

3 minutes ago, Mister M said:

And lead to outcomes which are more desirable for a greater number of people.

Not necessarily.

Amount of tax payable and use it is put to may not be favourable to all.

I wonder if Labour were to win the next general election if taxes would be lowered and services increased or will people think the conservatives had got it about right.

Edited by harvey19

8 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Not necessarily.

No not always, but I wasn't stating that the amount of tax payable and use it is put to may not be favourable to all. Just about everyone will have some complaint that Governments aren't using the revenue collected from them in a way that suits them.

What I was pointing to was research which showed that societies which have less extremes of inequalities in income have more desirable outcomes on metrics such as economic growth, social mobility social stability etc - and over the least 20 to 30 years there's been a great deal of research to show this.

Edited by Mister M

20 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Not necessarily.

I wonder if Labour were to win the next general election if taxes would be lowered and services increased or will people think the conservatives had got it about right.

I think it's widely stated that taxes are currently at an historic high in this country. Public services according to many are very poor at the moment. 

Now I hope that there is much more fairness in the tax system, and Labour have a different set of priorities with regards to policy. 

Even if they did, I'm sure that there will be some who have short memories, and continue to vote Conservative.

Edited by Mister M

6 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Charlton Heston probably did change his political allegiances, like some do, when they become wealthier. But rather than be honest about his motivations, he sought to blame society for his changing views rather than his own financial interests.

Gun ownership in the USA being a classic example of why having much heavily restricted society doesn't lead into a drab anodyne world. I mean I'm so glad that I live in a country where I don't have to fear being shot and killed everytime I walk out the door, simply because some gun toting Republican doesn't have the imagination to think of anything other than shooting and maiming to enliven his boring life.

Heston was right that political parties and society have changed hugely. The examples I gave would never even have been dreamed of 20 or 30 years ago :

I was not allowed to video my lad winning his first ever Fly race, but what happened during Covid was "more and more restrictions on our lives" in the stratosphere.

Woke cobblers writ large, a pub with a Golli collection being forced to close because somebody complained about it and it was taken up by the woke media. Removing historical statues and renaming organisations and buildings. Being asked to apologies for stuff which happened hundreds of years ago and was "normal" for the time.

Now they're even starting to force kids to eat meat free meals at school......