Bank Of England Says People Need To Accept They Are Poorer

3 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

but it's you and people like you who are determined to hang on to your "soddin holidays" (that's your description, not mine) who do.

I am not prepared to even discuss your holidays because they don't matter one bit to me.

Err, it isn't just "people like me" who want to jet off on holiday, it's most people.

What is the point in earning money, or even living, if you cannot spend it doing stuff you want to do ? Most people want to spend their money on three things : holidays (esp foreign holidays), cars or a bigger house, all three of which environmentalists want to restrict. So the nett zero fundamentalists have  a huge problem right there don't they ? As I have said before we ain't seen nothing yet because there hasn't really been much of an effort to restrict any of "the golden three". We'll see what happens when (or if) they try it. Assuming people are given the choice to vote against it of course.....

>>your holidays because they don't matter one bit to me<<

What you mean is everyone's holidays, and that is what I would expect because environmental zealots do not want to admit that they want to severely limit people's freedoms, and most people would consider being able to spend their money to fly away somewhere interesting (and hopefully warm, esp in our winter) a freedom.

Edited by Chekhov

5 hours ago, Chekhov said:

Err, it isn't just "people like me" who want to jet off on holiday, it's most people.

What is the point in earning money, or even living, if you cannot spend it doing stuff you want to do ? Most people want to spend their money on three things : holidays (esp foreign holidays), cars or a bigger house, all three of which environmentalists want to restrict. So the nett zero fundamentalists have  a huge problem right there don't they ? As I have said before we ain't seen nothing yet because there hasn't really been much of an effort to restrict any of "the golden three". We'll see what happens when (or if) they try it. Assuming people are given the choice to vote against it of course.....

>>your holidays because they don't matter one bit to me<<

What you mean is everyone's holidays, and that is what I would expect because environmental zealots do not want to admit that they want to severely limit people's freedoms, and most people would consider being able to spend their money to fly away somewhere interesting (and hopefully warm, esp in our winter) a freedom.

I'm afraid that, unless they come up with (as promised) electric  planes, your holidays look like being cut drastically.

Half the people in this world have never had a holiday in their lives and they seem to manage.

Nobody is going to restrict cars, only petrol and diesel, but electric or other forms of clean propulsion will be allowed.

No restrictions on houses either so where do you get your 3 from?

We'll see what happens when they try then as you said.  If you put up the same fight as you did over Covid, your holidays are certainly doomed.

A blanket's a good way to get warm.  Some are using them already due to dirty and expensive energy ( not green environmentalist ) bills.

Whether it will still be worth living, you will have to make up your own mind about that but, as I said,  other people manage.

Edited by Organgrinder

Not only does the Bank of England economist think that we should accept that we are poorer, so too do our government.

They want all apart from pensioners, to accept salary increases 5% below inflation. Probably for two years!

6 hours ago, El Cid said:

Not only does the Bank of England economist think that we should accept that we are poorer, so too do our government.

They want all apart from pensioners, to accept salary increases 5% below inflation. Probably for two years!

What did you expect after COVID? 

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

I'm afraid that, unless they come up with (as promised) electric  planes, your holidays look like being cut drastically.

Half the people in this world have never had a holiday in their lives and they seem to manage.

Nobody is going to restrict cars, only petrol and diesel, but electric or other forms of clean propulsion will be allowed.

No restrictions on houses either so where do you get your 3 from?

We'll see what happens when they try then as you said.  If you put up the same fight as you did over Covid, your holidays are certainly doomed.

A blanket's a good way to get warm.  Some are using them already due to dirty and expensive energy ( not green environmentalist ) bills.

Whether it will still be worth living, you will have to make up your own mind about that but, as I said,  other people manage.

>>your holidays look like being cut drastically<<

Funny how they have never asked me, or anyone else, at the ballot box if I am OK with that ?

The answer is no, I am not OK with it, and neither are most other people if it's explained exactly what is going to happen.

>>Nobody is going to restrict cars, only petrol and diesel, but electric or other forms of clean propulsion will be allowed.<<

You talk like there is no cost or other practical implication to your position, which, of course, there is.

Again, it's funny how they have never asked people at the ballot box if they are OK with that ?

>>No restrictions on houses either so where do you get your 3 from?<<

Most people want a bigger house, preferably detached and with a garden. Such a house use more energy to build and more energy to heat, thus, because energy will become more expensive, that is pricing people out of their aspirations, just like with cars and jetting off on holiday.

Again, it's funny how they have never asked people at the ballot box if they are OK with that ?

Sod off I say.

32 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Funny how they have never asked me, or anyone else, at the ballot box if I am OK with that ?

The answer is no, I am not OK with it, and neither are most other people if it's explained exactly what is going to happen.

>>Nobody is going to restrict cars, only petrol and diesel, but electric or other forms of clean propulsion will be allowed.<<

You talk like there is no cost or other practical implication to your position, which, of course, there is.

Again, it's funny how they have never asked people at the ballot box if they are OK with that ?

Most people want a bigger house, preferably detached and with a garden. Such a house use more energy to build and more energy to heat, thus, because energy will become more expensive, that is pricing people out of their aspirations, just like with cars and jetting off on holiday.

Again, it's funny how they have never asked people at the ballot box if they are OK with that ?

Sod off I say.

He's never been out of the country so I guess he's ok with taking all our holidays from us

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Sod off I say.

I can only reply that,  I agree with you regarding the fact that we have never been asked.

The quite obvious answer is that, if we were asked, the majority would say no,  so they make sure they don't ask us.  Turkey's don't get a choice whether they vote for Christmas.

I know full well that there is a cost implication with buying new cars etc and, to make things worse, the prices of new cars  are going through the roof.

An unfortunate fact of life is that we sometimes want things we can't afford and many are in this position already even though you are living a comfortable life.

What would you say to someone trying to survive with rising rents, food,  and bills who said to you "I would like a holiday of any kind but I can't afford one even though I am working"

You probably wouldn't be all that sympathetic towards them and think they should either change their job or work harder.

You might find yourself in the same position where you can no longer afford to do the things you are doing now and yet, you think that, unlike others, you have some god given right to do what you want.

It's quite obvious that you are not going to be asked whether you like that idea because you would say no.    The poor are already living under those circumstances and no one cares.

I agree that most people might want a bigger or nicer house,  preferably detached and with a garden but unfortunately, they can't afford it and they are already priced out of their aspirations.

Although you find it annoying, I wonder why you think, that you are different from everyone else and should be allowed to have everything you want.

The ballot box doesn't ask poor people if they are content so why should they ask you?

You don't give a hoot that people are living like that already so why should anyone worry about your list of desires?

I don't know who you are going to say "sod off" to because there isn't going to be a different choice and you will have to live with it like everyone else.

Sorry, but you have to see life as it is and not how you want it.  Many millions of people already know that, and are already living like that.

8 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I can only reply that,  I agree with you regarding the fact that we have never been asked.

The quite obvious answer is that, if we were asked, the majority would say no,  so they make sure they don't ask us.  Turkey's don't get a choice whether they vote for Christmas.

You do at least get some credit for being honest.

10 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

I know full well that there is a cost implication with buying new cars etc and, to make things worse, the prices of new cars  are going through the roof.

An unfortunate fact of life is that we sometimes want things we can't afford and many are in this position already even though you are living a comfortable life.

What would you say to someone trying to survive with rising rents, food,  and bills who said to you "I would like a holiday of any kind but I can't afford one even though I am working"

You probably wouldn't be all that sympathetic towards them and think they should either change their job or work harder.

You might find yourself in the same position where you can no longer afford to do the things you are doing now and yet, you think that, unlike others, you have some god given right to do what you want.

It's quite obvious that you are not going to be asked whether you like that idea because you would say no.    The poor are already living under those circumstances and no one cares.

I agree that most people might want a bigger or nicer house,  preferably detached and with a garden but unfortunately, they can't afford it and they are already priced out of their aspirations.

It's quite obvious that you are not going to be asked whether you like that idea because you would say no

The ballot box doesn't ask poor people if they are content so why should they ask you?

You don't give a hoot that people are living like that already so why should anyone worry about your list of desires?

I don't know who you are going to say "sod off" to because there isn't going to be a different choice and you will have to live with it like everyone else.

Sorry, but you have to see life as it is and not how you want it.  Many millions of people already know that, and are already living like that.

>>You might find yourself in the same position where you can no longer afford to do the things you are doing now and yet, you think that, unlike others, you have some god given right to do what you want.

It's quite obvious that you are not going to be asked whether you like that idea because you would say no. <<

Why are you constantly saying "you", like all the points I make only apply to me ? They don't, they apply to everyone. And I have to tell you now it is relatively rare I speak to anyone who is happy when you explain to them what is going to happen.

>>You don't give a hoot that people are living like that<<

You say that, I didn't.

Ironically the vastly increased price of all the things people aspire to in life will affect "the poor" the most. So your implication that people like you care about "the poor" more than I do is a bit hollow.

37 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

>>You might find yourself in the same position where you can no longer afford to do the things you are doing now and yet, you think that, unlike others, you have some god given right to do what you want.

It's quite obvious that you are not going to be asked whether you like that idea because you would say no. <<

Why are you constantly saying "you", like all the points I make only apply to me ? They don't, they apply to everyone. And I have to tell you now it is relatively rare I speak to anyone who is happy when you explain to them what is going to happen.

>>You don't give a hoot that people are living like that<<

You say that, I didn't.

Ironically the vastly increased price of all the things people aspire to in life will affect "the poor" the most. So your implication that people like you care about "the poor" more than I do is a bit hollow.

I'm only saying "you" because it's you and your life style which we are discussing.  I know full well that many others will feel and think the same way you do but I can't keep typing "almost everybody".

As you are the one who raises these question, I speak as though there were only 2 of us discussing it.

The fact that many many people will feel the same as you do doesn't alter anything,  in the same way that millions of people starving doesn't stop it, simply because there's a lot of them.

I agree with you again, that I would be extremely surprised if people you discuss this with would be happy about it.

I would expect that only people who are mentally limited, would be the ones who take it in their stride so we are fully in agreement again.

The general consensus is, that if everyone began to make an effort right here and now, we could ward off the worst effects of climate change or at least delay it somewhat.

I don't know anyone who has made a serious effort to cut down on pollution and you will find that only when people are forced, do they start respecting the planet.

Thereby lies the problem and the need for draconian measures which nobody is going to like,  including me, I might add.

You can read any implications you like into what I write but, whatever I think or don't think, you along with others, prove all the time, that you don't care about the poor.

The poor are not what this discussion is about but, the results of what is happening are going to affect everybody's lives and stop us from living as we did so we will have something in common with the poor.