Fargate To Be Ripped Up

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

So less than 6%, excellent. Most of it still left then. 

They're only going to put flower beds in by the looks of things, so there should be some left over.

Saw a SCC bloke in his hi-vis gear walking up & down Fargate last week with a long, bright yellow detector, sounding out where underground cables / pipes were located.  My first thought was, why wasn't this exercise carried out prior to the containers being put up? 

I suppose SCC has learnt at least one lesson from that screw up then? 

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

Saw a SCC bloke in his hi-vis gear walking up & down Fargate last week with a long, bright yellow detector, sounding out where underground cables / pipes were located.  My first thought was, why wasn't this exercise carried out prior to the containers being put up? 

They weren’t digging the place up for the containers though, so didn’t need to do such surveys.

8 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

They weren’t digging the place up for the containers though, so didn’t need to do such surveys.

They placed the containers where they thought they had access to an UNDERGROUND electricity cable which had been removed years previously.  Even if the cable had been there, explain to everyone how you get access, though hard paving to an UNDERGROUND cable without digging into the ground? 

Last time I walked down Fargate I didn't spot a handy above ground non-existent plug socket to a non-existent UNDERGROUND cable. 

A simple check would have saved a lot of time, effort & a hellava lot of money. 

Edited by Baron99

16 minutes ago, Baron99 said:

They placed the containers where they thought they had access to an UNDERGROUND electricity cable which had been removed years previously.  Even if the cable had been there, explain to everyone how you get access, though hard paving to an UNDERGROUND cable without digging into the ground? 

Last time I walked down Fargate I didn't spot a handy above ground non-existent plug socket to a non-existent UNDERGROUND cable. 

A simple check would have saved a lot of time, effort & a hellava lot of money. 

I’d agree that availability of an electric supply should have been checked before installation, but an on site survey like you saw isn’t how you’d do that. You’d ask the electricity provider. There are clearly electric supplies on Fargate to all the buildings, street lighting etc. 

By the sound of it, what you saw is the type of instrument used by site operatives to locate cables, pipes etc when they are about to dig.  

4 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

I dunno, I walked down there on Saturday and the whole place looked a shambles. Empty shops everywhere, I know that's a different issue really but the place maybe needs a total overhaul. 

Bit harsh on the council.

😉

1 hour ago, melthebell said:

Thats every town and city high street the country over, like you said, thats a different story, relaying stuff, planting stuff wont make that better

Making improvements to the public realm can bring businesses in, as can offering grants.