Fargate To Be Ripped Up

11 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

I think it is abroad where I have seen large parking areas outside the city and there is a regular bus service from there to the city centre.

Electric buses would help the clean city project.

Leave it out . Arthur and Martha are havin a reight ding dong 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, fools said:

Contradicting your own argument is a novel approach.

It isn’t contradicting my argument at all. Those people still came to the city centre, they worked there. 

Paying for the parking just influenced where they parked. 

8 hours ago, harvey19 said:

I think it is abroad where I have seen large parking areas outside the city and there is a regular bus service from there to the city centre.

Electric buses would help the clean city project.

So you haven’t noticed the tram park and ride sites in Sheffield? That’s electric and helps with cleaner air. There’s also rail based park and ride. 

There are plenty of examples of bus based park and ride in the UK. Leeds have several, including using electric buses,  York have several sites. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Planner1 said:

It isn’t contradicting my argument at all. Those people still came to the city centre, they worked there. 

Paying for the parking just influenced where they parked. 

So you haven’t noticed the tram park and ride sites in Sheffield? That’s electric and helps with cleaner air. There’s also rail based park and ride. 

There are plenty of examples of bus based park and ride in the UK. Leeds have several, including using electric buses,  York have several sites. 

The car parks at the super tram terminuses are excellent.

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/04/2023 at 08:57, Planner1 said:

There are some visualisations in this article that might help you. There will be a lot of planted areas.

I am ambivalent about these.

The floral area looks* impressive but then again so did those infamous shipping containers on the artist's impression. 

More seating facilities is always welcomed. Let's hope there are "City Centre Ambassadors" to keep the vagrants from turning them in to begging paradises and soiling them with blood, feaces and urine. Or the spice heads from using them as a prop for their manikin challenges.

With banks closing left, right and centre, there needs to be a supplement of ATM machines that are independent of the bank branches. A central ATM point in the middle of fargate is what is needed.

The mention of a community centre is not good. This is supposed to be a city centre, not a deprived housing estate that needs an evening chess club to keep the feral youths from causing mischief off the streets. 

Why are all of the retail buildings blanked out in the picture? I hope it's not because they plan to sell them off to a residential developer like they did with the space above H. Samuel. 

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

Why are all of the retail buildings blanked out in the picture?

Its a standard thing done in things like this. Shops change all the time so its easier just to include no shop signs at all.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Thanks 1

I'm all for floral areas, even trees in the right place but it must be remembered that these areas need maintenance. There are places which have been planted out and then seem to be forgotten/abandoned,  a classic case is traffic roundabouts where 'foliage ' has been let grow rampant causing reduced visibility. Oh, cutting of grass verges and then letting the grass cuttings block drains is another example...but if done properly floral/green spaces are nice.