Fargate To Be Ripped Up

1 hour ago, ab6262 said:

Ha Ha and you really think thats going to bring people back into town???? la l;a land springs to mind what a joke!

The project includes grants to companies and organisations who will occupy the empty buildings. Several have already been agreed. So, that will bring more people into that area.

The quality and attractiveness of a place is certainly a factor in most organisations thinking when deciding where to locate. Add this to the work that’s already been done in other areas of the city centre like the Moor, and the other things that are being planned and it all contributes to the wider picture of a place that is trying to improve and attract investment.

What else do you think the council could do?

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

I think the whole sorry event should be recorded in a book titled "Follys in Sheffield "

Most places could have one of those. Things don’t always go as you would like on projects, public or private.

1 hour ago, RollingJ said:

Did they?

What? Do the radar surveys and trial excavations? For the overall Fargate scheme?

I wouldn’t know the details. The project team usually evaluate the risks and decide what to do based on what the utilities are telling them and the potential impacts on the project of finding something unexpected. 

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

What? Do the radar surveys and trial excavations? For the overall Fargate scheme?

I wouldn’t know the details. The project team usually evaluate the risks and decide what to do based on what the utilities are telling them and the potential impacts on the project of finding something unexpected. 

5 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Yes - sorry I wasn't clear there. Had they done so prior to the container park scheme, it would been useful for the overall project.

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

The project includes grants to companies and organisations who will occupy the empty buildings. Several have already been agreed. So, that will bring more people into that area.

The quality and attractiveness of a place is certainly a factor in most organisations thinking when deciding where to locate. Add this to the work that’s already been done in other areas of the city centre like the Moor, and the other things that are being planned and it all contributes to the wider picture of a place that is trying to improve and attract investment.

What else do you think the council could do?

Most places could have one of those. Things don’t always go as you would like on projects, public or private.

pedestrianisation has killed the centre, stopping traffic , dead ends and one ways also kills a city, keeping a city clean would help flower and garden areas as we had back in the 60s and 70s instead of the bland peace gardens now, get rid of the drunks and homeless move them out, get rid of cobbles to walk on, get rid of the no signage on pavement rules and need to jump through so many hoops for outside seating, streetcleaners....proper ones, litter pickers, police on the beat, make it a nice place to be it hasnt been for years, i sold a cafe bar in a premier position just at the right time leopold st, how many more empty businesses do SCC need to see before they change tack, go look at manchester .......its thriving  they got rid or at least suspended the caz , you can get by car to almost everywhere and by a decent clean and moderen tram service unlike Sheffield's, any more??

grants are all well and good but watch when they run out and its usually office space which doesnt attract visitors.

8 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

You really can't have driven in Manchester in the last 20 years if you genuinely believe that. 

i was there only last week, didnt have a problem , round printworks, gt ducie st, cheetham hill, deansgate, portland st etc easy no problem! we usually stay at the midland or the hilton both have easy ncp parking.

Edited by ab6262

33 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

i was there only last week, didnt have a problem , round printworks, gt ducie st, cheetham hill, deansgate, portland st etc easy no problem! we usually stay at the midland or the hilton both have easy ncp parking.

And I have had no problem driving around Sheffield tbh. Maybe I am just lucky, or I just don't expect to be able to get to everywhere in a straight line. 

1 hour ago, ab6262 said:

pedestrianisation has killed the centre, stopping traffic , dead ends and one ways also kills a city, keeping a city clean would help flower and garden areas as we had back in the 60s and 70s instead of the bland peace gardens now, get rid of the drunks and homeless move them out, get rid of cobbles to walk on, get rid of the no signage on pavement rules and need to jump through so many hoops for outside seating, streetcleaners....proper ones, litter pickers, police on the beat, make it a nice place to be it hasnt been for years, i sold a cafe bar in a premier position just at the right time leopold st, how many more empty businesses do SCC need to see before they change tack, go look at manchester .......its thriving  they got rid or at least suspended the caz , you can get by car to almost everywhere and by a decent clean and moderen tram service unlike Sheffield's, any more??

grants are all well and good but watch when they run out and its usually office space which doesnt attract visitors.

Manchester has pedestrianised areas just like here. Last I saw they were planning to remove through traffic in the city centre and implement access loops just like they have here. Most major cities have done or are doing similar. Leeds is in the process of doing it and Bradford are about to start work pedestrianising most of the city centre and turning a major through route into a park.

Manchester isn’t a great comparator for us here, Greater Manchester has twice the population of South Yorkshire. It’s also more of a proper conurbation, so the denser, larger population makes tram systems and frequent bus services much easier to justify.

2 hours ago, RollingJ said:

Yes - sorry I wasn't clear there. Had they done so prior to the container park scheme, it would been useful for the overall project.

The containers scheme didnt involve digging the place up and was temporary, so you wouldn’t expect to do detailed investigations for that element. I would expect them to do investigations for the wider Fargate scheme as it does involve excavations, so they need to know what is buried.