Fargate To Be Ripped Up

1 minute ago, Planner1 said:

The containers scheme didnt involve digging the place up and was temporary, so you wouldn’t expect to do detailed investigations for that element. I would expect them to do investigations for the wider Fargate scheme as it does involve excavations, so they need to know what is buried.

Wonder if they will find any bombs from the blitz ?

2 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

The containers scheme didnt involve digging the place up and was temporary, so you wouldn’t expect to do detailed investigations for that element. I would expect them to do investigations for the wider Fargate scheme as it does involve excavations, so they need to know what is buried.

I suggest that you tell them that a great big sewer runs down Fargate.....just in case they don't already know!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ab6262 said:

pedestrianisation has killed the centre, stopping traffic , dead ends and one ways also kills a city, keeping a city clean would help flower and garden areas as we had back in the 60s and 70s instead of the bland peace gardens now, get rid of the drunks and homeless move them out, get rid of cobbles to walk on, get rid of the no signage on pavement rules and need to jump through so many hoops for outside seating, streetcleaners....proper ones, litter pickers, police on the beat, make it a nice place to be it hasnt been for years, i sold a cafe bar in a premier position just at the right time leopold st, how many more empty businesses do SCC need to see before they change tack, go look at manchester .......its thriving  they got rid or at least suspended the caz , you can get by car to almost everywhere and by a decent clean and moderen tram service unlike Sheffield's, any more??

grants are all well and good but watch when they run out and its usually office space which doesnt attract visitors.

Exactly right.

I have said this no end of times on SF but got only ridicule from those who seem to like the city centre empty except for beggars etc.

Fargate for instance, like the rest of the city centre, was choc a bloc with people, especially before pedestrianisation and, over time has just emptied completely.

What makes the council, or even other councils,  think that pedestrianisation and blocking everything off, actually works?

Edited by Organgrinder

Guest busdriver1
58 minutes ago, Planner1 said:

Manchester has pedestrianised areas just like here. Last I saw they were planning to remove through traffic in the city centre and implement access loops just like they have here. Most major cities have done or are doing similar. Leeds is in the process of doing it and Bradford are about to start work pedestrianising most of the city centre and turning a major through route into a park.

Manchester isn’t a great comparator for us here, Greater Manchester has twice the population of South Yorkshire. It’s also more of a proper conurbation, so the denser, larger population makes tram systems and frequent bus services much easier to justify.

As I have said on many occasions on here why oh why do the council keep looking at other cities and copy them?  

Sheffield is not Manchester, Leeds, Bradford etc. etc. so why do we expect something that was tailor made for them to work here? 

We need to have a good look at SHEFFIELD and find out what it needs and how we can get there. Who gives a stuff about all these other places that can think for themselves.

Try doing something original instead of completely inappropriate copies of other areas ideas. 

I realise this would involve thinking so that may be a problem but hey, we can hope.

2 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

As I have said on many occasions on here why oh why do the council keep looking at other cities and copy them?  

Sheffield is not Manchester, Leeds, Bradford etc. etc. so why do we expect something that was tailor made for them to work here? 

We need to have a good look at SHEFFIELD and find out what it needs and how we can get there. Who gives a stuff about all these other places that can think for themselves.

Try doing something original instead of completely inappropriate copies of other areas ideas. 

I realise this would involve thinking so that may be a problem but hey, we can hope.

I don’t see anything wrong with looking around to see what is good practice and what works elsewhere and coming up with the best solution tailored to suit your place.

Thats exactly what they are doing here.

Others, like Manchester, Leeds, Bradford etc are following us on measures like removing through traffic and creating access loops etc, not the other way round. There’s even a “grey to green” clone scheme going in in West Yorks. 

Trouble is, no matter what you come up with, some people won’t like it.

36 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

Well said,  You would think that Sheffield council members don't have brains of their own at all.  The results are plain to see.

Massive change in direction needed and stop copying other councils. who are just as daft as us anyway.

20 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Well said,  You would think that Sheffield council members don't have brains of their own at all.  The results are plain to see.

Massive change in direction needed and stop copying other councils. who are just as daft as us anyway.

How is it you reach that conclusion when it is the opposite way round. Those other places are copying us.

A massive change in direction to what exactly?

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

I don’t see anything wrong with looking around to see what is good practice and what works elsewhere and coming up with the best solution tailored to suit your place.

Thats exactly what they are doing here.

Others, like Manchester, Leeds, Bradford etc are following us on measures like removing through traffic and creating access loops etc, not the other way round. There’s even a “grey to green” clone scheme going in in West Yorks. 

Trouble is, no matter what you come up with, some people won’t like it.

The trouble is the vast Majority of people in Sheffield hate the centre they dont go there now purely because of how it is?? they dont want car free and bus free areas they want good shops good parking and a nice relaxing area with cafes bars and restaurant's this is how it was and its been ruined.

why is it councils do the opposite of what people and business  want ?????

20 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

The trouble is the vast Majority of people in Sheffield hate the centre they dont go there now purely because of how it is?? they dont want car free and bus free areas

And you know this how?

Have all Sheffield people been surveyed?

Plenty of good parking in Sheffield, there’s been an over-supply for years.

1 hour ago, Planner1 said:

And you know this how?

Have all Sheffield people been surveyed?

Plenty of good parking in Sheffield, there’s been an over-supply for years.

By the people that used to come into my bar they worked in the centre they didnt come in for leisure  purposes, good parking ??? are you kidding ? tucked away and expensive, on street parking almost non existent.

the council go from one hairbrained scheme to another not once getting grass roots or business input.

i tell you what take a poll on SF they seem a good mix of Sheffield people and see how many are in support of what scc do and if they love the city centre ? easy to set a poll up?? 

Edited by ab6262
  • Haha 1