Fargate To Be Ripped Up

1 hour ago, ab6262 said:

your opinion but in mine thats BS!

You admitted the lack of funding yourself in your previous post, and offered an explanation as to why tramps were allowed to remain in the Gardens.  You can look up the same references that I did, and have a talk to those who remember the Goodwin fountain in the 80s a quarter full of stagnant water and discarded plastic bags.

You might also remember other areas of Sheffield greenery that went into decline at around the same time.  Sheffield parks, for example, like Weston Park and its wonderful Festival of Britain glasshouse that by the time the 80s came around went from carefully tended displays of passion flowers and tropical plants to those same plants poking through a dilapidated roof of broken glass.  It was sad and shocking and you could see the decay setting in everywhere, and that certainly included the Peace Gardens because they were tended by skilled gardeners who were let go with the rest.

I remember a packed city centre and late night Christmas shopping on a Wednesday when Fargate was so packed you could hardly move.  But that was in the mid 80s and everything's changed.

Edited by Guest

49 minutes ago, Hecate said:

You admitted the lack of funding yourself in your previous post, and offered an explanation as to why tramps were allowed to remain in the Gardens.  You can look up the same references that I did, and have a talk to those who remember the Goodwin fountain in the 80s a quarter full of stagnant water and discarded plastic bags.

You might also remember other areas of Sheffield greenery that went into decline at around the same time.  Sheffield parks, for example, like Weston Park and its wonderful Festival of Britain glasshouse that by the time the 80s came around went from carefully tended displays of passion flowers and tropical plants to those same plants poking through a dilapidated roof of broken glass.  It was sad and shocking and you could see the decay setting in everywhere, and that certainly included the Peace Gardens because they were tended by skilled gardeners who were let go with the rest.

I remember a packed city centre and late night Christmas shopping on a Wednesday when Fargate was so packed you could hardly move.  But that was in the mid 80s and everything's changed.

i agree but why did it change?? political spending or mis spending for which those involved have never been brought to account , the world student games financial accounts were never signed off, it was a wilful waste of tax payers and rate payers money, which is why the things like gardens and fountains fell in to disrepair , sheffield works dept and sycc  ceased to exist, we moved to chesterfield where services are much better we have  a local council and also a county council, we have lovely parks  and the infrastructure is looked after we even get the streets cleaned and gulleys cleaned unlike sheffield ratepayers or council tax payers.

i too remember going into town as a kid christmas shopping until late etc you couldnt do that now.

Sheffield city centre is dead it started dying back in the early 80s, none of these hair brained schemes will bring it back.

19 minutes ago, iansheff said:

When was the last time that they re-paved Fargate, was the paving done by a foreign company or was it imported paving or whatever they put down?

it was done by Italians i think, no wonder it took so long some is good a lot is bad.

18 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

A city centre is not just some shopping mall.

people have always lived and worked in the centre  ... this is a tired argument  .. what other reason is there for someone to visit during the day. It's called a city centre, if you want people to go there from the outskirts, they have to have a reason. take away the shops, and frustrate the motorist, and it ends in decline. it would be dead without the student population.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, ab6262 said:

the reason why there were lack of funds was the councils at the time using money on white elephants, student games, rubbish trams, asylum seekers and police being soft on the tramps, winos and other detritus.

it was a great place to shop in fargate and the moor, lovely gardens and fountains now all gone concrete jungle springs to mind.

see above

like i said nowhere near the centre derek dooley way is almost meadowhall, rail station is in the caz zone, park square is awkward to disabled , re price i have no problem with charging in fact its probably too cheap.

hardly any meters for a quick visit say 10 mins to run in and get something.

Someone really needs a geography lesson. 

I see you have also deliberately ignored the other car parks I listed, including two of them that lead directly onto The Moor and two others which are literally 2 minutes walk from High Street and the bottom of Fargate.   

Lest we forget that someone disabled or infirm have parking bays available adjacent to Fargate or Barkers Pool or Division St or The Moor.

How much bloody closer do you want??

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 2

23 minutes ago, fools said:

people have always lived and worked in the centre  ... this is a tired argument  .. what other reason is there for someone to visit during the day. It's called a city centre, if you want people to go there from the outskirts, they have to have a reason. take away the shops, and frustrate the motorist, and it ends in decline. it would be dead without the student population.

They have plenty of reasons.  I am sat in the city centre right now and it is buzzing with people who are certainly not all students.

Perhaps what they are is people who embrace change and don't wallow around in the past with their rose tinted  nostalgia on how things used to be. People who aren't sat in their hovels resenting and belittling every change or new development.  Maybe instead of sitting there miserable and complaining  you come experience it for yourself and look for some of the positives for a change.

They haven't taken away the shops. There are streets full of them. They're just changed as the entire global retail landscape has changed.

They haven't  frustrated the motorist.  Only the morons who still think its the 1970s, ignored the global shifts in attitude to car use in urban areas  and still think they have some given right to drive on any street, any time they want  and park up all day right outside the shop door for tuppence in the meter. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

I am sat in the city centre right now and it is buzzing with people who are certainly not all students.

yeah, because there are shops and banks. remove the shops, it's just another suburb. see attercliffe.

some people are apparently impressed with a greenhouse, a sculpture that looks like a squashed whisk, and a lot of paving slabs, it's not a draw for most people.

pay for parking ... crazy idea

1 hour ago, iansheff said:

When was the last time that they re-paved Fargate, was the paving done by a foreign company or was it imported paving or whatever they put down?

Paid a fortune for those cobbles and had Italian tradesmen come and lay them.   Wonder if they are going to sell / recycle them . 😀

Guest busdriver1
22 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Have all Sheffield people been surveyed?

Yeah it was done on the council website 😁

3 hours ago, Hecate said:

The reason for the lack of funding isn't the issue.  The point is that the Peace Gardens had been in terminal decline for many years, long before they were renovated.  Even when the greenery still looked cared for it had been a meeting place for tramps and other loiterers that weren't always shooed away.

As for the Goodwin fountain, that had been in a right old state for even longer!  I just read an article that quoted a piece from 1980 that said that the the fountain was 'shaming the city' because it was in such a state of disrepair. 

Fargate was a great place to shop but the nature of shopping has changed and Fargate has to adapt accordingly.  Rose-tinted recollections of Sheffield from 1978 are not in the slightest bit relevant to today, outside the Sheffield History and Expats section of the forum.

And it's exactly that attitude that has turned the city centre from the great place it was, to the empty shopless, ghost town it is now.

We have some guys called coppers, whose job used to be dealing with tramps and other loiterers.  Seems everyone's happy to let them hole up in police stations all day now. Here's the result.

Glad you like it but,  but let a different view prevail from now on.