Fargate To Be Ripped Up

26 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

And it's exactly that attitude that has turned the city centre from the great place it was, to the empty shopless, ghost town it is now.

We have some guys called coppers, whose job used to be dealing with tramps and other loiterers.  Seems everyone's happy to let them hole up in police stations all day now. Here's the result.

Glad you like it but,  but let a different view prevail from now on.

What an odd response.  How does that relate to anything I wrote?  Glad I like what?  And since when has Sheffield been empty and shopless?  Bizarre.

31 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

And it's exactly that attitude that has turned the city centre from the great place it was, to the empty shopless, ghost town it is now.

We have some guys called coppers, whose job used to be dealing with tramps and other loiterers.  Seems everyone's happy to let them hole up in police stations all day now. Here's the result.

Glad you like it but,  but let a different view prevail from now on.

In an earlier post Fools was suggesting to my comment about the city buzzing with people today that the reason people are there is because of shops and banks. However, you're saying that the city centre is a 'shopless ghost town'.

Which is it???

If it's the latter and the city is this decaying ghost town as you describe it, what the hell are all these people doing here then?  What are all these active buildings and retail and commercial units around me then??

Have either of you two geniuses actually walked around the city centre in the past decade or do you just sit at home whinging from behind your keyboard pining for the 'better' days gone by.  

says someone well known for their verbose and repetitive rants about people being stuck in the past.

the point is very simple, retail (and banking) is an important draw, without it, there is nothing. If the draw was better, and parking was easier and free, more people would visit.

Edited by fools

3 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Paid a fortune for those cobbles and had Italian tradesmen come and lay them.   Wonder if they are going to sell / recycle them . 😀

I thought I remembered something about Italians doing it.

16 hours ago, fools said:

the point is very simple, retail (and banking) is an important draw, without it, there is nothing. If the draw was better, and parking was easier and free, more people would visit.

Where is there an example to back up the assertion you’re making about easy and free parking?

I’m not aware of any city or town of any significance in the uk that offers plentiful free parking.

I’d agree that it’s the overall “offer” of a place that determines how attractive it is to visit. I’d argue that no one expects to come to town and city centres and get free parking. They expect to pay.  Whereas when visiting out of town retail parks, they expect parking to be free.

4 hours ago, Planner1 said:

Where is there an example to back up the assertion you’re making about easy and free parking?

I’m not aware of any city or town of any significance in the uk that offers plentiful free parking.

I’d agree that it’s the overall “offer” of a place that determines how attractive it is to visit. I’d argue that no one expects to come to town and city centres and get free parking. They expect to pay.  Whereas when visiting out of town retail parks, they expect parking to be free.

You are asking for proof of imaginary assertions now.

My assertion is that if there was free parking or easier parking or cheaper parking or fewer anti-car measures, more people would come. As someone who confesses to avoiding paying for parking themselves ( by parking up somewhere and walking in), that shouldn't be too difficult of a concept to understand.

I've given you many examples before, including Rotherham (Sat), Barnsley (Sat Sun), and Bank holidays. Don't bother saying they are smaller, it's irrelevant.

Every problem is insurmountable because other places do similar in your world it seems.

I'm about to spend a significant amount of money on something, the retail and parking offer in sheffield is so bad, I'll have to go elsewhere with my money. This is not a one off. You can't buy the most basic of products in this city without spending endless hours hunting them down.

Edited by fools

52 minutes ago, fools said:

You are asking for proof of imaginary assertions now.

My assertion is that if there was free parking or easier parking or cheaper parking or fewer anti-car measures, more people would come. As someone who confesses to avoiding paying for parking themselves ( by parking up somewhere and walking in), that shouldn't be too difficult of a concept to understand

Nope, that is not what you said in post #85 that I quoted. You said easier and free. You didn’t mention just free on Saturday or Sunday. You didn’t mention cheap, or anti car measures either.

Using me as an example just proves your assertion is wrong. Paying for parking or the ease of finding it does not put me off visiting the city centre. I still visit it, I just park a bit further out. 

Parking in Sheffield is easy to find. There are big variable message signs that tell you where to go and where there are spaces. You just turn off the inner ring road and there’s a large car park within a short distance. There’s lots of parking, the prices are similar to those you pay in any city of this size. Yep, they charge 7 days a week. So does pretty much every large city.