Sheffield Wednesday - Why are they called that?

we dont get many on wednesday either these days mate but lets see how many uniturd get on any day next season ;)

To be honest about as many as you will, but at least we got there ...... :D Plymouth is a bloody long way to get stuffed remember ...... I know ....... :help: and the beer's generally crap ...... :gag:

Stick to the cider and you'll forget about your team's performance a lot quicker ...... :thumbsup:

does anyone know why sheffield wednesday has that name rather than sheffield monday or friday or any other day of the week?

Sheffield wednesday got their name from the market workers as their half day was on a wednesday, they got a team together and started to play on wednesday. hence the name SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY. this is only known by a few but wednesday nik name used to be known as "BLADES" they disregarded this name and took the name "THE OWLS" sheffield united used to be known as the sheffield united & cricket & football club, they took the name "the blades"

There is a book on this subject at the library.

Years ago the local shops and business used to close on wednesday afternoon and the people that had the time off formed a league between themselves and when the football league was formed a team comprised of players from the wednesday league formed a team hence the name if they had played on friday they would have been called sheffield friday hope this helps !!!!!!!!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Sorry but not quite true.

Sheffield wednesday got their name from the market workers as their half day was on a wednesday, they got a team together and started to play on wednesday. hence the name SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY. this is only known by a few but wednesday nik name used to be known as "BLADES" they disregarded this name and took the name "THE OWLS" sheffield united used to be known as the sheffield united & cricket & football club, they took the name "the blades"

There is a book on this subject at the library.

now where is that fishing picture :hihi:

United scum.....fek off this aint your thread,and u gonna get as much opportunity to get a sarnie from ARSENAL,CHELSEA,WEST HAM,FULHAM and CHARLTON as i am from plymouth u sad ****ers.

do you know how far plymouth is?? fool

Have u seen ur new signings??? ur gettin prepared for the championship already.

lets face it, even if we was preparing for championship again, we would still be a better team than wednesday

Robbie Lovin u prick we get more attendences than most premiership teams,so how the frigg does that make Leeds bigger,and IF Leeds are bigger where the frigg does that leave u scum,ive seen more united scum in a pub than at the lane.

bigger attendences than most premiership? er..... no, maybe you get bigger attendances than; Fulham, Blackburn, Wigan and Portsmouth. but so do sheffield united.

Enjoy ur 1 season in prem and wave to warncock in the stands.

even if we only stay one season, we will enjoy it :thumbsup:

When was the last time scum won anything?....ask ur great grandad

the scum??? dint wednesday win the league cup in 92? was it called the rumbelows cup then? actually i think it was 91

When was the last time Leeds won anything?...ask Ken Bates

the title in 91 mean anything to you? better than the "Rumbelows Cup" ha ha ha ha

When was the last time Yorkshires BIGGEST and BEST SUPPORTED team won anything..........1991,biggest ground,biggest crowd,won most silverwear!!!

DAVID HIRST AND PAUL WARHURST, CHRIS BART WILLIAMS.......... dont make me laugh. great european tour :thumbsup:

if your gonna come back dont start with the insults,pull some facts out that might make you look like you have an ounce of intelligence. the problem is, AS IT STANDS, SHEFFIELD UNITED are the number ONE team in yorkshire!!!

Robbie_Lovin, I can't figure out if he's winding you up or you're winding him up, although he seems pretty wound up to start with. Briggy you're obviously a blue all through, but chill man, let's wait till November and then have a meaningful discussion about the relative league positions. Try to be a little less obvious with your insults, let subtlety be your weapon.

All together now: think C A L M. T H O U G H T S.

Robbie_Lovin, I can't figure out if he's winding you up or you're winding him up, although he seems pretty wound up to start with. Briggy you're obviously a blue all through, but chill man, let's wait till November and then have a meaningful discussion about the relative league positions. Try to be a little less obvious with your insults, let subtlety be your weapon.

All together now: think C A L M. T H O U G H T S.

i dont get wound up about this subject, i think it is funny

I'm not entirely convinced by the signings upto now but there are still 2 months to the close of the transfer window so I'm happy to wait and see.

Anyway Wiki has some good stuff on the history of both clubs.

i dont get wound up about this subject, i think it is funny

Me too Robbie. Some of the insults bandied about on the forum must take....... seconds to think up.

Incidentally are you happy with NW's signings so far, not sure if I'd be full of confidence if I was a Blades fan.

Incidentally are you happy with NW's signings so far, not sure if I'd be full of confidence if I was a Blades fan.

im happy with the davis signing

dont know much of leighterwood or nate.

and not impressed by sommeil,

ah well time will tell

we still be bringing in more players

Archived