The Copthorne Hotel On Bramall Lane

3 minutes ago, The_DADDY said:

It's says temporarily closed on Google.

You could ring one of the other Copthorne hotels and ask if they know anything? 

Aye its been shut for nearly 3 years now, its a shame as I went in there for a drink a few times and thought it was decent enough. I thought Sheffield was crying out for hotel rooms?

I understand there has been a lot of legal technicalities and squabbles between past and present owners of the club which caused some delays.

From what I recall reading a while ago. Copthorne withdrew there branding licence because of some issue regarding payment from the old club owners and Hilton had showed an interest to attach their name however, the details of how much and how they get paid are still with the owners of the club.  There also appears to be some new issue regarding the external cladding which is now deemed unsafe and needs replacements.

I suspect all of which is contributing to a lot of delay and decision making on weather the money should be allocated. I guess if they have had a successful season and earn some bigger bucks next year, it may make the decision making about the hotel a bit easier.

Personally, whilst I agree the hotel was quite nice, it never seemed to be really popular outside of match or stadium related events.  It was on a bit of a limb close 'ish' to the city centre but not quite in it, to make it attractive to a casual business or weekend visitor.  The area surrounding the hotel is not the greatest which I suspect was another reason that put people off - if they didn't really know Sheffield well leading them to pick somewhere more Central and surrounded by the facilities that they want to use.

Just now, ECCOnoob said:

I understand there has been a lot of legal technicalities and squabbles between past and present owners of the club which caused some delays.

From what I recall reading a while ago. Copthorne withdrew there branding licence because of some issue regarding payment from the old club owners and Hilton had showed an interest to attach their name however, the details of how much and how they get paid are still with the owners of the club.  There also appears to be some new issue regarding the external cladding which is now deemed unsafe and needs replacements.

I suspect all of which is contributing to a lot of delay and decision making on weather the money should be allocated. I guess if they have had a successful season and earn some bigger bucks next year, it may make the decision making about the hotel a bit easier.

Personally, whilst I agree the hotel was quite nice, it never seemed to be really popular outside of match or stadium related events.  It was on a bit of a limb close 'ish' to the city centre but not quite in it, to make it attractive to a casual business or weekend visitor.  The area surrounding the hotel is not the greatest which I suspect was another reason that put people off - if they didn't really know Sheffield well leading them to pick somewhere more Central and surrounded by the facilities that they want to use.

You would think with the club about to go up to the top tier that it would be a priority to get it sorted, but maybe not.

People are happy enough to stay down at Victoria Quays tbf and that isnt the nicest of areas.

1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

You would think with the club about to go up to the top tier that it would be a priority to get it sorted, but maybe not.

People are happy enough to stay down at Victoria Quays tbf and that isnt the nicest of areas.

That is true, but they're fortunate to still be classed as city centre, serve ponds forge, have quite a lot of studenty things around it and is on the right side for Kelham Island which will all go in their favour. 

• Like 1

"The Copthorne hotel alongside Sheffield United’s football ground is closing and being debranded. The property is being sold under a court order with vacant possession, reports The Star. Under the court ruling, Sheffield United Football Club has bought out its 50% co-owner Scarborough Group"

(can't see the rest as I don't have an acc't on the website)
https://hotelanalyst.co.uk/29263-2/

With regards to ECCOnoobs comment above, as an ex pat Sheffielder I enjoyed staying there “as a tourist” when visiting. Nice and quiet, away from the late night noise of the city centre, close enough to take shanks pony into the city and back, and all those pubs and eateries on London Road, making a much better option than hotel food.

Guest busdriver1

It looks to me like the major flaw in the execution is that the majority of people do not want to holiday at a football ground.

You would think that would have been looked in to before building.