The Copthorne Hotel On Bramall Lane

14 minutes ago, busdriver1 said:

It looks to me like the major flaw in the execution is that the majority of people do not want to holiday at a football ground.

You would think that would have been looked in to before building.

Do people only stay in hotels for "holidays"? 

Guest busdriver1
10 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Do people only stay in hotels for "holidays"? 

No not at all, but most when given the choice clearly do not want to stay at a football ground at any time. Surely that has been made clear by the failure of this one.

Just now, busdriver1 said:

No not at all, but most when given the choice clearly do not want to stay at a football ground at any time. Surely that has been made clear by the failure of this one.

From everything I have read the closure was for legal/ownership reasons, rather than it being a financial disaster. If you can link me to anything to prove the latter it would be interesting. 

Guest busdriver1
1 minute ago, HeHasRisen said:

From everything I have read the closure was for legal/ownership reasons, rather than it being a financial disaster. If you can link me to anything to prove the latter it would be interesting. 

try post 8

The hotel was profitable but had to be sold with vacant possession as a result of the court case between the previous owner and Prince Abdullah.

There is an agreement in place with the Hilton group for it to re-open but the club needs to spend several million on fixtures and fittings (as Copthorne stripped it) and some cladding issues.

They chose not to do so and to put that cash into the first team budget - a successful strategy!

Now promotion is secured I’m sure it will start to be looked at again.

Was  always busy and not just on match weekends, probably the best standard hotel along with the Mercure (Peace Gardens) in the city centre when it was open.