The Heritage Party

3 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

I do not believe that there is no significant benefit fraud in this country, but in fact I am not talking about benefit fraud per se. I am talking about benefit scroungers. The type of people who spend as much time looking for ways to stay on benefits (often via disability type benefits) as they do looking for work.

another right wing trope to add to your collection, well done

1 hour ago, Mister M said:

In the past I've pointed out facts in relation to tax fraud versus benefit fraud, and right wingers go through mental gymnastics to justify the former, whilst condemning the latter.

Yes, I know, I've seen you do it.

But some people will never accept it, and remember that perception is encouraged by the Tory government many of whom will probably be avoiding tax themselves along with most of the wealthy classes.

The UK is a blatant tax haven for the rich which is exactly the way the government like it and is actively encouraged by them. They are also the masters of distraction by drawing the fire onto a less fortunate group who can't fight back. 

Another feature is people's lack of understanding of the scale of the problem. The benefit fraud is a tiny drop in the ocean compared with the amounts lost to tax avoidance and tax evasion. 

If it helps consider this:

If numbers are equated to time...

1 Million = 11 days

1 Billion = 32 years

Bernard Arnault (arguably the world's richest man,) has personal wealth listed at 240 Billion USD 

Elon Musk has a personal fortune of 168 Billion,  

Jeff Bezos has 128 Billion. 

(Forbes)

And there are many more getting richer and richer because of poor tax laws

If they paid all their tax at just 30% like the rest of us, the world's financial problems would be fixed at a stroke, and we could end poverty. 

But no, let's starve the little guy down on his luck, and hound them for a few miserable quid.

That makes sense doesn't it...?

Still don't think you can beat 'League of Empire Loyalists' for a far-right group's name.

These are the Government figures:

Fraudulent overpayment £6.5bn.

Unclaimed payment: £7.1bn.

Uncollected tax  £42bn, 5%  according to the Commons Public Accounts Committee. It only costs £1 to recover £18.

Unclaimed Pension Credit:

Up to 1.2 million families who were entitled to receive Pension Credit did not claim the benefit. £ Up to £2.5 billion of available Pension Credit went unclaimed: on average, this amounted to around £2,000 per year for each family entitled to receive Pension Credit who did not claim the benefit.

Unclaimed Housing Benefit:

Up to 1.0 million families who were entitled to receive Housing Benefit did not claim the benefit. £ Up to £3.1 billion of available Housing Benefit went unclaimed: on average, this amounted to around £2,900 per year for each family entitled to receive Housing Benefit who did not claim the benefit. 

Unclaimed Income Support/Income-related Employment and Support Allowance:

Up to 0.4 million families who were entitled to receive these did not claim the benefit. Up to £1.5 billion of available IS/ESA (IR) went unclaimed: on average, this amounted to around £4,100 per year for each family entitled to receive Income Support/Income-related Employment and Support Allowance who did not claim the benefit.

DWP source

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

Why haven't Labour  or the other parties done something about this ?

Obviously enough, because they haven’t been in power for around 13 years.

Less obviously, because the respective higher-flying echelons of the parties are probably just as influenced by the vested interests who profit from the inaction.

Probably goes to explain why so many finance-heavy service sectors are least regulated in the U.K. relative to other, similar economies. E.g. the gambling industry.

3 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

That is such a good question, I am really struggling as to how to answer it in words so I will do it in numbers:

354/650

Yes it is a real mystery why other parties when in power haven't changed things as this isn't something which has just been claimed.