Local Elections 2023

9 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

I'm not arguing.   I didn't tell them to change it and I haven't asked them why. They say it's to stop voter fraud.    I didn't decide the policy,  the politicians did.

The Tories think it gives them an advantage and Labour thinks it works against them.

Ask them why

As I said your statement doesn’t add up . You made it that’s why I’m asking you .

13 hours ago, hackey lad said:

Most of the young will have photo Id.

Some will only have student photo ID cards, which aren't being accepted for voting.

In Wales and Scotland sixteen year-olds can vote in local elections . I'm not sure what kind of acceptable ID they'd already have.

1 hour ago, HumbleNarrator said:

The SNP thought that 16 was too young for someone to decide that they wish to use a sunbed and so legislated to raise the age at which you could use one to 18. So 16 is worldly wise enough to vote, but not use a sunbed.

There are always going to be anomalies. You can join the British armed forces at 16 but can't vote in any English election until 18.

2 hours ago, horribleblob said:

Some will only have student photo ID cards, which aren't being accepted for voting.

In Wales and Scotland sixteen year-olds can vote in local elections . I'm not sure what kind of acceptable ID they'd already have.

People get their polling card posted to their home address. Taking your polling card to the polling station would be proof of where you live.

Just the same level of security as a postal vote, which are likely to be over 30% of the total vote.

4 hours ago, hackey lad said:

As I said your statement doesn’t add up . You made it that’s why I’m asking you .

You tell me why the Tories have made these changes when we don't have any serious voter fraud problem in this country?

Also, why are you able to have an ordinary postal vote, which young voters don't use, with NO NEW SECURITY ON IT?

There only you says. that every young one has Photo ID and you don't know every young voter.

You are just pulling lies out and presenting them as facts - UNPROVEN FACTS

4 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

You tell me why the Tories have made these changes when we don't have any serious voter fraud problem in this country?

Also, why are you able to have an ordinary postal vote, which young voters don't use, with NO NEW SECURITY ON IT?

There only you says. that every young one has Photo ID and you don't know every young voter.

You are just pulling lies out and presenting them as facts - UNPROVEN FACTS

I never said every young voter has photo ID 

21 hours ago, El Cid said:

People get their polling card posted to their home address. Taking your polling card to the polling station would be proof of where you live.

... Which wouldn't be accepted by the staff there, who let's all remember haven't decided to bring in the ID thing and are merely following the rules. I can see a lot of people wrongly taking frustrations out on election staff on Thursday. 

16 hours ago, hackey lad said:

I never said every young voter has photo ID 

Someone posted a table on here that said young people are more likely to have a valid ID than older folk. Yes it's not 100% but I don't believe you or anyone else ever said that, but here he is using capital letters again. 

4 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Someone posted a table on here that said young people are more likely to have a valid ID than older folk. Yes it's not 100% but I don't believe you or anyone else ever said that, but here he is using capital letters again. 

It's possible, but with over 30% using a postal vote, that is mostly older people.

7 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

We've had no leaflets or doorstep chats around here.  Mind you,  I expect they are all very selective about the areas they choose these days.  I can't blame them really.

The active parties keep records of who voted and who they voted for.

If they knock on your door and you tell them that you voted for them, they may well record that, for their next visit.