Grappling/Ground Fighting in Sheffield

I have reached a reasonable level in thaiboxing over the past years.

I feel that the only aspect lacking is groundwork/grappling.

Can someone suggest a reputable place in Sheffield that offers high quality tuition in this. I have seen discussion threads where BJJ has been mentioned.

i welcome any suggestions

Thanks

i'll go first then, Gracie Barra Sheffield BJJ club, (see training times below)

but there is also Royce Gracie Yorkshire, there a good group of guys... Sheffield Shoot train at the same place as us at hillsbrough, Peps knows his stuff.

sorry if i missed anyone but these are clubs i have trained at so its only fair i recomend them.

Sheffield Shoot seem to have fallen off the edge of the world recently, not sure what's happening there - might just be on holiday. Gracie Barra Sheffield is where I train and it'd be good to see you down if you fancy having a go! (393 club, Langsett Road, Hillsborough - pm me if you need directions or any more info).

lagarto is in brazil at the minute getting ready for the mundials (?spelling?) he not back till september i think, but we have another guy filling in. Sem, i've not had chance to train with him yet because i've been away.

but he is a black belt, and lets face it where else can you train with a black belt every two weeks.

i look forward to seeing any new or old faces soon,

gregg

i haven't trained in over 3 months due to personal circumstances and changing commitments, but sundays at gracie barra could be a possibility in the near future. do you have many people on the mat? i find smaller classes quite helpful in terms of tuition.

Anvil: I don't go on Sundays so couldn't answer that, but have a feeling they are somewhat smaller than mondays/wednesdays.

fb: It varies but class sizes are usually fairly small, between 6 and 12 people. We get a mixture of beginners and more advanced students down, and everyone would make you feel welcome, there's no one with an ego.

Classes usually consist of a warm up, stretch, sometimes fitness drills, technique, and there's almost always quite a bit of sparring. Monday (6-7.30) and Wednesday (6-8 ) are £5, while Sundays (11-12.30) are taken by Sem, a world-class black belt who was one of the main instructors in Rio, and are £12. I'm only able to attend mon/wed though.

There are no gradings as such, belts are given out by higher-graded instructors (e.g. Sem) based on their observation of your technique, ability, attitude and personal development. Some people take a long time to reach the stage where the first belt (blue) would be granted (didn't get mine for around 5 years), whereas some people may already be near or at that stage, especially if they've done things before. Belts may also be handed out on the basis of performance in fight events e.g. the UFC. A blue belt is regarded as a general certificate of competence in grappling - from that point though, a purple is very difficult to achieve.

Archived