Grappling/Ground Fighting in Sheffield

Hello Fellas, just read through the thread and you've made it sound interesting, I'd love to have a go. You sound like a fairly sociable bunch, so I guess I'd be welcome.

Please just summarise for me, living in Nether Edge, where could I go for a session and when? I'm of 34 year old vintage, by the way, average fitness but looking to improve obviously.

Cheers.

Hey Draco,

You would be very welcome, always good to see new faces - we've had a few new people start over the last few weeks so you wouldn't be on your own!

The BJJ clubs around these parts are the one where I train at the 393 club on Langsett Road just up from Hillsborough Corner, and another club in Dronfield that also holds classes at Graves Leisure Centre. I don't know which one of these would be easier to get to from Nether Edge - if you do decide on the Hillsborough club (Gracie Barra Sheffield) I look forward to seeing you down there!

All the best,

Chris

Hi Draco

Being in Nether Edge you are pretty much slap bang in the middle of things (Gracie Barra and Royce Gracie BJJ). Royce Gracie BJJ trains on Monday at the Dronfield school 8.15 - 10.00 pm and Wednesday at the Graves Tennis Centre 7.15 - 10.00pm (class is cancelled Wednesday 19th) Fitness is not an issue, although we do some cardio work, it's a case of do what you can! We have a good mix in levels of ability and plenty of new starters (who are learning very quickly!!) to roll with.

Hope you can make it down for a session.

The best brazilian jiu jitsu clubs in this area is in doncaster. 393 is ok to have a roll but the best guys by far are in donny. just go along and have a try. poeple from far and wide travel to donny to learn with the experts

Hi Vindie

Who are the experts in Doncaster?

Just curious thats all.

The best brazilian jiu jitsu clubs in this area is in doncaster. 393 is ok to have a roll but the best guys by far are in donny. just go along and have a try. poeple from far and wide travel to donny to learn with the experts

to be fair, Gracie Barra at 393 club do have a blackbelt teaching every other Sunday...

Hi Anvil, are you going to Royce tonight? I'm very excited!! Ben Poppleton is a Gracie Barra black belt, based in Doncaster. He trained in Brazil for a long time (on and off for six years I think) and is really excellent. Mick Shore is a purple belt and there is another very good purple belt there (whose name escapes me). But, Sheffield is still a good place to learn BJJ: with a good standard of instruction and an excellent atmosphere among the guys who roll.

now be fair were all freinds, donny wasn't talked about because its not in sheffield, you might as well tell anyone wanting to find an MMA club to go to manchester and train at wolfslair.

Hi Anvil, are you going to Royce tonight? I'm very excited!! Ben Poppleton is a Gracie Barra black belt, based in Doncaster. He trained in Brazil for a long time (on and off for six years I think) and is really excellent. Mick Shore is a purple belt and there is another very good purple belt there (whose name escapes me). But, Sheffield is still a good place to learn BJJ: with a good standard of instruction and an excellent atmosphere among the guys who roll.

I'm not unfortunately. I haven't trained for a while now due to personal reasons, but i did go when he was last here and it was very good. Hopefully i'll be back training soon, but i'm not sure what i'll be doing or where.

Archived