Cross Scythes, Totley

6 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

The Cross Scythes is quite an old-established place.

I went to school almost across the road (Totley County) and the bus- svc. 45- used the Scythes' carpark as its terminus.

So were the four Holmesfield pubs, now lost to licensed trade usage.

28 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I suppose that the Cross Scythes owners reckon that they now have a captive market, the suburban pub is on it’s knees,I give it a couple of years.

Almost any 'pub' which does not serve at least half-decent food will find it difficult to survive, especially in 'suburban' areas, but the CS and all but one in this area have 'survived' - and done fairly well, from what I hear - must admit I don't visit them, so no first-hand recent experience.

5 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

The Cross Scythes is quite an old-established place.

I went to school almost across the road (Totley County) and the bus- svc. 45- used the Scythes' carpark as its terminus.

VERY old-established, I would say, looking at local history resources.  So did the 24 and 97 until the CS owners decided they didn't want buses parked outside.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, m williamson said:

No I haven't, do they do decent lunches?  There used to be four of us would meet up for coffee two or three times a week and have lunch once a month. We used to alternate between the Crossed Scythes, the Pheonix , the Peacock at Barlow and very occasionally the Peacock at Rowsley.

Only two of us left now and wouldn't mind trying out somewhere else.

Lunchtimes, especially during the week, you'd have to check their opening hours

6 hours ago, m williamson said:

No, it's reopening in about five weeks. It's a refurb, or at least that's what one of the workers told me when I pulled in to the car park Thursday lunch time thinking I was going to have lunch there with a mate.

Four of us used to go there for lunch about once a month before the pandemic. Two of us have shuffled off this mortal coil, us two surivivors thought we.d go for old times sake.

We went to the Pheonix at Owler Bar instead.

at Ridgeway?

Scotsmans Pack in Hathersage is nice, comfortable, good food.

Anyone eaten at Royal Oak in Millthorpe? Can't see a menu online but some of the photos of food served there look good.

Edited by Bargepole23

10 minutes ago, Bargepole23 said:

at Ridgeway?

Scotsmans Pack in Hathersage is nice, comfortable, good food.

Anyone eaten at Royal Oak in Millthorpe? Can't see a menu online but some of the photos of food served there look good.

Peacock! Got confused. Knew it was a bird but went for the mythical one 🙄😆

4 hours ago, Tipstaff said:

I think all SF members could meet at the Cross Scythes for LUNCH when it re-opens.

The ones that I would wish to spend time with could fit in a phone box and leave room for me.

• Like 2