So Are You A Citizen Or A Subject?

Citizen or Subject?   

15 members have voted

1. 1. Citizen or Subject?

• Citizen
    • Subject

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/05/23 at 23:00

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

I don't really know to be honest.

I have no problems with there being a monarchy at all but I wouldn't say I am a big royalist.

I would rather have them than not I guess as it affects me in no way shape or form and I do love the grandiose pomp of it all.

I'm exactly the same. I just don't get why people want to rush towards electing a Trump, Putin, Biden Macron etc etc.

I'm not a lover of the Monarchy either, but I understand the value of them in our present political set up and to be honest, we've arrived here by accident and it's as good a system as you'll ever find anywhere else. Where the power is more or less loaned to parliament but the monarch has to sign the laws.

Wonder what would happen if one day we ever got a Hitler or a Stalin. The Monarch could say "Enough of this" and command the armed forces to remove the dictator.

Hardly likely if the dictator is also the head of state.

Be careful what you wish for and what you tinker with. It isn't broken, and doesn't require fixing.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Obviously it hasn't occured to you that the head of state in this country is the person that the armed forces, police and judiciary all swear allegiance to and that if anyone is likely to become a dictator it's the reigning monarch.

That's exactly where we were 500 years ago pops. This system has evolved and we have an equilibrium. Please try and keep up.

Parliament holds sway with permission of the monarch, it's perfect but I wouldn't expect you to understand anyway.

1 hour ago, dsweetman said:

There seems to be a sharp rise in persons who want to live in a republic,may I suggest that such people go and live in russia or somewhere similar and stop all this nonsense.

Or the USA perhaps?

Just imagine the likes of Jeremy Corbyn being the Head of State?  There'd be total anarchy and vigilantes running riot on the streets whilst he was entertaining terrorists and mass murderers!

I'm far happier with the status quo.

• Like 1

Sir Winston Churchill once joked that democracy is the worst form of governance in the world EXCEPT for all others that have been tried. This is equally true of hereditary monarchy: to coin a phrase, it takes the being rude out of the being ruled.

Compare the UK's system with almost every other country's. Nowhere else could there have been an uninterrupted and unchallengedly smooth change- in the same week last year!- of both:

a. Head of State (monarch); and

b. Head of Government (Prime Minister).

Be glad to be one of His Majesty's subjects. NB: the oath is optional.