So Are You A Citizen Or A Subject?

Citizen or Subject?   

15 members have voted

1. 1. Citizen or Subject?

• Citizen
    • Subject

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 31/05/23 at 23:00

On 30/04/2023 at 20:25, KP Nuts said:

That's exactly where we were 500 years ago pops. This system has evolved and we have an equilibrium. Please try and keep up.

Parliament holds sway with permission of the monarch, it's perfect but I wouldn't expect you to understand anyway.

Shame you haven't evolved little man.  https://royalcentral.co.uk/features/insight/is-the-queen-really-above-the-law-1625/

Just think how that would have worked out if it was King Andrew that was being crowned on Saturday. It will be interesting to see how the suitcase grabber handles that amount of power.

" Power tends to corrupt, absolute power corrupts absolutely and great men are almost always bad men " Lord Acton.

Royalists have been spoilt by the late queen, she was old school and knew how to play the game, helped by living mainly in a more deferential age.

Popcorn time for republicans.

19 minutes ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Sir Winston Churchill once joked that democracy is the worst form of governance in the world EXCEPT for all others that have been tried. This is equally true of hereditary monarchy: to coin a phrase, it takes the being rude out of the being ruled.

Compare the UK's system with almost every other country's. Nowhere else could there have been an uninterrupted and unchallengedly smooth change- in the same week last year!- of both:

a. Head of State (monarch); and

b. Head of Government (Prime Minister).

Be glad to be one of His Majesty's subjects. NB: the oath is optional.

Yes, there's always internal political turmoil in Finland, Switzerland, Malta, Ireland, Austria, Germany, Iceland and all other Parliamentary Republics.

There are far superior and less divisive systems of government than the one used in this country.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Jeffrey Shaw said:

Sir Winston Churchill once joked that democracy is the worst form of governance in the world EXCEPT for all others that have been tried. This is equally true of hereditary monarchy: to coin a phrase, it takes the being rude out of the being ruled

Be glad to be one of His Majesty's subjects. NB: the oath is optional.

Sir Winston was well known for joking and I enjoy his wit myself.

Your remarks on democracy fall down because we don't live in a true democracy.

We are ruled by a government with an 80 seat majority, which they won by LESS THAN 50% OF THE VOTE  -  THAT IS NOT DEMOCRACY.

If you are going to coin a phrase, remember there's a phrase for everything and none of them mean anything.

We are citizens and  NOT his majesty's subjects - that is optional just like the oath.

Don't quote something as being true unless you can prove it.

A further point, much as I admire Churchill, don't be silly enough to think that everything he said or did,  was true or correct.   There are no angels on this earth.

Don't know how you manage in court with arguments like that.

9 minutes ago, m williamson said:

Hilarious! You really are a clown.   Post # 22 you said ' Why do all you unitedites...........'

You were the one who introduced football into the conversation. Like I said you dish it out and whine when it's returned. You really are dim, but amusing, I'll give you that.

Quite true

Edited by Organgrinder

2 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Can't we be both? 

It's not like it makes much real difference in the scheme of things.

It's not like we're going to be called upon any time soon to choose between them for any practical purpose. 

We are both. 

It's why Brit Cits from birth don't pledge allegiance but anyone wanting to become a Brit Cit has to attend a ceremony and pledge allegiance 

6 minutes ago, Anna B said:

Can't we be both? 

It's not like it makes much real difference in the scheme of things.

It's not like we're going to be called upon any time soon to choose between them for any practical purpose. 

We can be what we choose to be but the royalists don't like that idea and think we should all be loyal subjects.

Some people, and that includes me, will not be told what to think and what to accept by someone else.  Especially someone else who likes to pretend it's a thousand years ago.

3 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

We can be what we choose to be but the royalists don't like that idea and think we should all be loyal subjects.

Some people, and that includes me, will not be told what to think and what to accept by someone else.  Especially someone else who likes to pretend it's a thousand years ago.

I think most people don't care what you think and aren't going to any great effort to change your mind..

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delayed said:

I think most people don't care what you think and aren't going to any great effort to change your mind..

That's fine.  Why are you on here arguing with me then?

9 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

5 minutes ago, Delayed said:

Yes. There is such a thing as 'Let sleeping dogs lie.'  Something we'd do well to remember in these contentious times. 

It seems rather pointless digging up trouble when it's not necessary.

There's plenty of genuine trouble as it is. 

Edited by Anna B