Customer Toilet Unavailable (And The 'Social Conscience' Co Op May Be The Worst)

Has anyone noticed how often the customer toilets are out of order, or the store / filling station just doesn't even have one ? At least most supermarkets have them (except, in my experience the CoOp).

Where do they expect you to go to the loo ?

The obvious question to ask when they say they have no loo is where do the staff go then ? That at least forces them to say we do not let customers use our staff toilets.

I was particularly annoyed when my 9 year old lad was desperate for the loo up at Woodhouse CoOp. I asked where the customer loos were only to be told they did not have any and, when pressed, "we do not usually let customers use the staff toilet". I kept expecting her to say but we'll make an exception for your young lad. But she didn't, she just looked sheepish, so he had to end up going in the car park. I was livid. And I know of a few other Co-Ops with permanently unavailable customer loos.

Aren't the CoOp the business that boasts about its "social conscience" ? 

Hypocrites.

Has anyone got any other businesses to add to the roll of shame ?

Edited by Chekhov
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Has anyone noticed how often the customer toilets are out of order, or the store / filling station just doesn't even have one ? At least most supermarkets have them (except, in my experience the CoOp).

Where do they expect you to go to the loo ?

The obvious question to ask when they say they have no loo is where do the staff go then ? That at least forces them to say we do not let customers use our staff toilets.

I was particularly annoyed when my 9 year old lad was desperate for the loo up at Woodhouse CoOp. I asked where the customer loos were only to be told they did not have any and, when pressed, "we do not usually let customers use the staff toilet". I kept expecting her to say but we'll make an exception for your young lad. But she didn't, she just looked sheepish, so he had to end up going in the car park. I was livid. And I know of a few other Co-Ops with permanently unavailable customer loos.

Aren't the CoOp the business that boasts about its "social conscience" ? 

Hypocrites.

Has anyone got any other businesses to add to the roll of shame ?

Bogroll of shame?

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, melthebell said:

and todays whinge, brought to you by Chekhov

As someone who runs his own business you would think he would be aware of the insurance/H&S implications of allowing the general public in non-trading areas.

In that context, this is the most ridiculous rant I have ever seen from him.

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 4

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

As someone who runs his own business you would think he would be aware of the insurance/H&S implications of allowing the general public in non-trading areas.

and cost on the business, a staff member checking the toilets at least every hour, cleaning em, replacing paper towels, the water usage, toilet duck etc, cafes and pubs and restaurants yes because they sell drinks so people need to go, Supermarkets dont generally have people sitting down eating and drinking.

Add into that people just going in to use the toilets, which happens a lot, especially where ive been working in Whitby, so they dont have to pay the 40p public charge, more and more places are putting signs up about them being customer use only.

You could have like 600 people a day using them

Edited by melthebell
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, melthebell said:

and cost on the business, a staff member checking the toilets at least every hour, cleaning em, replacing paper towels, the water usage, toilet duck etc, cafes and pubs and restaurants yes because they sell drinks so people need to go, Supermarkets dont generally have people sitting down eating and drinking.

Add into that people just going in to use the toilets, which happens a lot, especially where ive been working in Whitby, so they dont have to pay the 40p public charge, more and more places are putting signs up about them being customer use only.

Indeed, I dont believe there is any legal requirement for a supermarket to provide customer toilets if they dont have a customer cafe, the Co-Op at Woodhouse certainly doesnt have a cafe or at least it didnt on Sunday when I was in there. Neither does any branch of Lidl or Aldi I have been in.  I dont see the issue here, then again we know what he is like.

Edited by HeHasRisen

32 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

This is BS spouted by people who don't want to have to clean a toilet any more often than absolute necessary.

A cynic might say that the reason the Co-Op never seem to have any customer toilets is that organisation think the customers are less important than the staff. Customers want (often need....) loos but the staff don't want to clean the toilets, so they come down on the side of the staff.

Actually, if you are right, and I do not think you are, but if you are, and the reason that customers are not allowed to use toilets in shops etc really is insurance or H&S that proves we really do live in a mad world where H&S has gone way way too far. One wonders what cobblers they'll come up with next.

Banning stairs ?

Actually stairs are statistically quite dangerous so there is some argument there, but it would be incredibly inconvenient and expensive. When has that stopped them before though ? After all you say it's stopped toilets being available......

28 minutes ago, melthebell said:

>>a staff member checking the toilets at least every hour<<

Really ? What world do you live in ?

You talk like you never need to use a loo, as a Leftie, who do you think should provide toilets then ?

The good old Free market ensures most supermarkets have public toilets, even Aldi. But the Co-Op they think their 'superior' virtue signalling "social conscience" approach means they don't have to bother, I hope they go bust. I was so mad when that woman wouldn't let my 9 year old (as he was then) use their soddin' loo.

Edited by Chekhov

22 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Indeed, I dont believe there is any legal requirement for a supermarket to provide customer toilets if they dont have a customer cafe, the Co-Op at Woodhouse certainly doesnt have a cafe or at least it didnt on Sunday when I was in there. Neither does any branch of Lidl or Aldi I have been in.  I dont see the issue here, then again we know what he is like.

The Aldi I use has no cafe and does have a loo.

But this is nothing to do with legal requirements, it's to do with customer service. If one of my customers asked to use our loo it would never even occur to me to say no.