Customer Toilet Unavailable (And The 'Social Conscience' Co Op May Be The Worst)

On 03/05/2023 at 12:10, Chekhov said:

Has anyone noticed how often the customer toilets are out of order, or the store / filling station just doesn't even have one ? At least most supermarkets have them (except, in my experience the CoOp).

Where do they expect you to go to the loo ?

The obvious question to ask when they say they have no loo is where do the staff go then ? That at least forces them to say we do not let customers use our staff toilets.

I was particularly annoyed when my 9 year old lad was desperate for the loo up at Woodhouse CoOp. I asked where the customer loos were only to be told they did not have any and, when pressed, "we do not usually let customers use the staff toilet". I kept expecting her to say but we'll make an exception for your young lad. But she didn't, she just looked sheepish, so he had to end up going in the car park. I was livid. And I know of a few other Co-Ops with permanently unavailable customer loos.

Aren't the CoOp the business that boasts about its "social conscience" ? 

Hypocrites.

Has anyone got any other businesses to add to the roll of shame ?

CoOp hasn't had any social conscience for years. Try going to a local CoOp where it's the only shop nearby.  You pay top prices then they try to fleece you of even more by waving the begging tin,

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, spilldig said:

CoOp hasn't had any social conscience for years. Try going to a local CoOp where it's the only shop nearby.  You pay top prices then they try to fleece you of even more by waving the begging tin,

It's not even a case when it's the only shop nearby. I went in one last weekend, a branch quite near an Asda however the Asda was shut. Needed a tin of chopped tomatoes. 70p.

Would have been 32p in Asda if it was open. 

I have never been asked to donate in charity in there though so you are going to have to elaborate there. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

I have seven(2 Tesco, 2 Sainsbury's, a Morrisons, a Coop and a Spa) within 10 minute walking distance and none have a toilet. As for prices -they vary enormously -even between branches and even more with their larger branches further away. There has also been a reduction in the range of stock and of course profiteering from reduced weight and size.

4 minutes ago, Annie Bynnol said:

I have seven(2 Tesco, 2 Sainsbury's, a Morrisons, a Coop and a Spa) within 10 minute walking distance and none have a toilet. As for prices -they vary enormously -even between branches and even more with their larger branches further away. There has also been a reduction in the range of stock and of course profiteering from reduced weight and size.

Profeteering? Surely it's dealing with the increased cost in everything. 

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

Profeteering? Surely it's dealing with the increased cost in everything.  

Dealing with increases in some foods leads directly to the retailers increases prices across the board to maintain profits. Overall inflation was 10% while food price inflation was 19.2% in the year to March enabling their share values to reach parity with pre Brexit values.

As sales fell their need to recoup income relied on increasing all prices, with the public 'accepting' that 'everything was going up'. Market share (and therefore price competition) became less important than share prices and dividend payout.