Relocating To South Yorkshire

Hello all,
I am planning to relocate to South Yorkshire and have house viewings booked in for below areas ,

Goldthorpe, Rotherham, S63 9BH
Mexborough, S64 9RF
Bentley Avenue, Doncaster, DN4 0BU

I am new to the place so would need feedback about these areas ,please.. My kid is 3years old . As I am moving with my family, I would like my surroundings to be peaceful and with less crime rate. Sheffield is not coming within my budget at the moment so thought of checking nearby areas where I can afford initially.

I live at Birdwell which is between Barnsley and Sheffield.   Been here about 35 years and it's a lovely place to live.   Enough shops without having to go too far, an excellent Post Office which is open 7 days a week !  A large Medical Centre nearby,  good schools,  a few nice pubs,  very close to Worsbrough Reservoir ( good fishing ) and a fully working Mill which is open to the public. We've even got a modern Theatre with a theatre school.  A sports centre / swimming pool nearby in Hoyland.  We're close to the countryside and within 5 minutes you're on the M1 motorway.   Having said all that,  it never feels too busy.  House prices are good too.  

Over the past 60 odd years I've lived in  ......    Sheffield,  Aldershot, London, Mexborough, Huddersfield, Barnsley and now Birdwell.   Out of all those places, I prefer to live in Birdwell.

Edited by francypants
  • Like 1

Depends on what your budget and requirements are? I'd avoid the north of Rotherham/east of Barnsley though in the areas you've mentioned. Thurnscoe is probably the worst of the lot, but most are ex mining communites that went to rack and ruin back in the 80s and have never recovered.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Michael_N said:

Depends on what your budget and requirements are? I'd avoid the north of Rotherham/east of Barnsley though in the areas you've mentioned. Thurnscoe is probably the worst of the lot, but most are ex mining communites that went to rack and ruin back in the 80s and have never recovered.

Hi @Michael_N
My budget is 100k and looking for at least 2bed houses. above are the areas where I am able to find good spacious houses within my budget. But I am not getting any good reviews about these places :( 

5 hours ago, Nish said:

Hi @Michael_N
My budget is 100k and looking for at least 2bed houses. above are the areas where I am able to find good spacious houses within my budget. But I am not getting any good reviews about these places :( 

To be honest you're really going to struggle. House prices on the street in a mining village near Doncaster where I was born in the 50's have been over a £100k for a few years. This was on the edge of the village, backing on to woodland.

• Like 1

The areas named wouldn't be top of my list if I suddenly needed to buy a house for £100k in S Yorks and live in it for a couple of years. It also depends what you want from the area.

Alternatively, some semi-rural areas that may look OK might not be much good if you need public transport,  proximity to big employers and loads of local amenities.

Near the centre of the various towns of S Yorks (but not Sheff) you can get terraced houses in your budget that might work. At least in those locations there are shops and other amenities plus trains and bus services.

Or something like a suburban semi that needs a bit of work on an old council estate. Big gardens, solid houses and established communities. A lot of house for your money and you could add value to it. Not all of these areas are 100% bad news despite what you may read. 

Edited by Bilge
  • Like 1

Not the nicest of areas but if you want a real cheap buy, look at Page Hall in Sheffield or Eastwood in Rotherham. Can pick up 2-3 bed terraced houses for less than £50k. But be warned, there's a reason it's cheap!

• Like 1