Octopus Energy, Anyone With Them Since Bulb Went Down?

I am with them. I find it a bit odd how their system works. They suggest giving the meter readings after the DD is taken. With bulb energy  the meter readings were submitted first. Then bulb knew how much to take.

I don't know if it makes any difference. If you are with them, are you finding Octopus ok, and any tips or advice?

Thanks.

7 minutes ago, Janus said:

I am with them. I find it a bit odd how their system works. They suggest giving the meter readings after the DD is taken. With bulb energy  the meter readings were submitted first. Then bulb knew how much to take.

I don't know if it makes any difference. If you are with them, are you finding Octopus ok, and any tips or advice?

Thanks.

I'm now with Octopus having formally being with Bulb.

I'm finding them OK. My smart meter isn't smart enough to talk to them yet so I send manual readings then my bill almost instantly appears in the app and I pay it right away.

I don't have a DD and won't be setting one up.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, bassett one said:

heard they are so much cheaper than the rest,is that true?

Their dynamic tariffs are, yes. I may have mentioned this before. 

My electric has been around 18p per unit for the last week, gas less than 5p.

Edited by HeHasRisen

The best thing about Octopus is that their Chief Executive wants to abolish standing charges. They are an absolute rip off but all the energy providers are obliged to have them.  I have been with Octopus three years and have no complaints whatsoever.  They give good advice and in the recent trials of economy hours we saved over £11.  Our amazing fixed price tariff which we were fortunate to have started before the crisis is coming to an end and Octopus are advising us to go variable until the market stabilises. Ovo's "cheap rate" may not be cheaper by the end of his year. Every other company is charging the standard floating rate.  After bad experiences with FIrst Utility and Green Energy Network  I'd say Octopus are a no brainer. No connection with the firm except as a customer. 

Its worth stressing to ANYONE who moves over to Octopus on their bog standard rate (there are no fixes currently) you will still pay the same unit rate as more or less everyone else with other providers, unless you are prepared to go on one of their dynamic tarriffs, all of which I think now require a smart meter:

Octopus Agile (half hour pricing) - https://octopus.energy/agile/

Octopus Tracker (daily pricing, the one I am on. This now has a substantial waiting list) - https://octopus.energy/smart/tracker/

Octopus Go (you need an electric car for this) - https://octopus.energy/smart/go/

Octopus Cozy (heat pumps needed) - https://octopus.energy/cosy/

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, Janus said:

If you are with them, are you finding Octopus ok, and any tips or advice?

I've been with them for Gas+Electric for about a decade... no issues whatsoever.

By far the best supplier in terms of communication, by some distance.

• Like 2

Guest ThaBoom
On 09/05/2023 at 11:50, DavidFrance said:

The best thing about Octopus is that their Chief Executive wants to abolish standing charges. They are an absolute rip off but all the energy providers are obliged to have them.  I have been with Octopus three years and have no complaints whatsoever.  They give good advice and in the recent trials of economy hours we saved over £11.  Our amazing fixed price tariff which we were fortunate to have started before the crisis is coming to an end and Octopus are advising us to go variable until the market stabilises. Ovo's "cheap rate" may not be cheaper by the end of his year. Every other company is charging the standard floating rate.  After bad experiences with FIrst Utility and Green Energy Network  I'd say Octopus are a no brainer. No connection with the firm except as a customer. 

By July the price cap is expected to fall over 20% so many firms will offer better rates.

Ovo is no different,  they will drop and offer better deals, along with Octopus.

We had a 2yr fix throughout the energy crisis and have only moved to a variable rate this year. I'm hoping a new fix deal will be offered by the summer and if it makes sense, probably go on it.