Castle House Co-Op Closing Down

I think Wilko's will.move because the Moor gives them access to the student market

And B&M is on the brink of collapse so once that happens then Castle Gate will become the new no go area in Sheffield and it will destroy the bars at the canal and Kommune will relocate to somewhere like Kelham 

Edited by Jack Grey

58 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

I think Wilko's will.move because the Moor gives them access to the student market

And B&M is on the brink of collapse so once that happens then Castle Gate will become the new no go area in Sheffield and it will destroy the bars at the canal and Kommune will relocate to somewhere like Kelham 

Or in the alternative, one could think positive and consider that the empty retail units could be converted into the more residential or student accommodation or mixed use which could bring increased footfall to the bars and food court. 

The old Argos is already changing into a bowling centre, parts around High Street and Fitzallan sq are already transforming into university buildings or student attractive businesses or residential.

As I have said earlier on the thread, the castle house co-op was an outdated relic which I'm surprised has lasted as long as it did.  The department store that surrounded it has long been closed. It's store format was old school and not what most of its target shoppers want and need in its location.  Since it's original heyday, several rival supermarkets have opened up around it. One of which is another co-op but in a much more modern, accessible and convenience format in line with its nationwide business model.

Castlegate is far from being 'a no-go area'.   It is just changing. As I have said dozens of times it is not just shops. The city has a far wider purpose than that.

Take a look at what is happening all around Castlegate onto Bank Street, Campo Lane, Love Street, West Bar down to the start of Neepsend Look what's springing up or the sorts of building conversions being done with millions of pounds of investment. All residential and student accommodation bringing people back into living close to the city as is happening all over the world. That is the new purpose for the area. That is the direction it's going - has been now for several years.

Edited by ECCOnoob

4 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Or in the alternative, one could think positive and consider that the empty retail units could be converted into the more residential or student accommodation or mixed use which could bring increased footfall to the bars and food court. 

The old Argos is already changing into a bowling centre, parts around High Street and Fitzallan sq are already transforming into university buildings or student attractive businesses or residential.

As I have said earlier on the thread, the castle house co-op wasn't outdated relic which I'm surprised has lasted as long as it did.  The department store that surrounded it has long been closed. It's store format was old school and not what most of its target shoppers want and need in its location.  Since it's original heyday, several rival supermarkets have opened up around it. One of which is another co-op but in a much more modern, accessible and convenience format in line with its nationwide business model.

Castlegate is far from being 'a no-go area'.   It is just changing. As I have said dozens of times it is not just shops. The city has a far wider purpose than that.

Take a look at what is happening all around Castlegate onto Bank Street, Campo Lane, Love Street, West Bar down to the start of Neepsend Look what's springing up or the sorts of building conversions being done with millions of pounds of investment. All residential and student accommodation bringing people back into living close to the city as is happening all over the world. That is the new purpose for the area. That is the direction it's going - has been now for several years.

No it's really bad

Have you been there lately?

It's like the wild west 

People openly dealing and doing drugs 

I had a friend from Manchester staying over and I had to go to Wilko's and it's so bad I told her I'd meet her in a pub near peace gardens 

It's embarrassing 

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

No it's really bad

Have you been there lately?

It's like the wild west 

People openly dealing and doing drugs 

I had a friend from Manchester staying over and I had to go to Wilko's and it's so bad I told her I'd meet her in a pub near peace gardens 

It's embarrassing 

Yes I have been there recently at least a couple of times a week. I am well aware there is some dodgy activity going off but one could say exactly the same about cities up and down the land.   I doubt your friend was that shocked and apalled considering what I see going off around places like places like Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester or on the bottom of Briggate in Leeds around the top of New Street in Birmingham for example.  

Doesn't mean those areas get written off as "no go" when thousands of people still walk through them, work in them or even sometimes live around them. 

The harsh reality is it's part and parcel of being in a city. Nobody wants it there is- but at the same time, unless we are going to completely lock down and oversanitise the streets to convert them into some privately operated and overprotected facility ala  Dubai or Singapore or Las Vegas, the general public will still have free access to them with the general public doing what they want to do be good or bad.  Fact of life.  

Let's face it, back in the 'glory days' there were just as many dodgy characters and people you'd  take a wide birth around in the Hole in the Road or cluttering up the bus stations or drinking out of their brown paper bags in peace gardens.....

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

When you make areas fully residential, they easily become no go areas. This is part of the concern with Sheffield CC, as well as the fact SCC want to compress it so much that it can no longer be considered a city.

Attercliffe has some of the roughest inhabitants in Sheffield, but for the most, it's not a no go area (during the daytime at least) because it has retail in the form of Meadowhall Retail Park, Valley Centertainment and the Arena, all of these places have security personnel to help people feel safe. If you replace the retail outlets in Sheffield City with un-manned flats, it will soon become dodgy. I can see the Waingate area becoming an extension of Wicker/Burngreave, full of "gangsters", drug dealers, chavs and deadbeats.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

18 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Yes I have been there recently at least a couple of times a week. I am well aware there is some dodgy activity going off but one could say exactly the same about cities up and down the land.   I doubt your friend was that shocked and apalled considering what I see going off around places like places like Piccadilly Gardens in Manchester or on the bottom of Briggate in Leeds around the top of New Street in Birmingham for example.  

Doesn't mean those areas get written off as "no go" when thousands of people still walk through them, work in them or even sometimes live around them. 

The harsh reality is it's part and parcel of being in a city. Nobody wants it there is- but at the same time, unless we are going to completely lock down and oversanitise the streets to convert them into some privately operated and overprotected facility ala  Dubai or Singapore or Las Vegas, the general public will still have free access to them with the general public doing what they want to do be good or bad.  Fact of life.  

Let's face it, back in the 'glory days' there were just as many dodgy characters and people you'd  take a wide birth around in the Hole in the Road or cluttering up the bus stations or drinking out of their brown paper bags in peace gardens.....

I like your optimism but Castlegate has been a hole for maybe 20 years now.  While some things are getting better  , I think it will be a very long time before it gets turned around down there .

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

I like your optimism but Castlegate has been a hole for maybe 20 years now.  While some things are getting better  , I think it will be a very long time before it gets turned around down there .

All of my life it's been run down it seems, obviously it was more vibrant when the market was there. I can't ever recall The Gallery terrace stores/cafes/salons being open, they must have closed over 20 years ago, despite the retro signage looking pristine. 

I remember around 10 years ago, maybe more, some riff raff having a huge argument outside Shoe Zone there and one of the women shouting to all the on lookers "I'm a f****** druggy, so what"... And we'd always be approached at the bus stop by someone selling stolen goods. It used to be good for people watching down there.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

The coucill is Castlegates problem

But the sheep keep voting for them 

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

When you make areas fully residential, they easily become no go areas. This is part of the concern with Sheffield CC, as well as the fact SCC want to compress it so much that it can no longer be considered a city.

Attercliffe has some of the roughest inhabitants in Sheffield, but for the most, it's not a no go area (during the daytime at least) because it has retail in the form of Meadowhall Retail Park, Valley Centertainment and the Arena, all of these places have security personnel to help people feel safe. If you replace the retail outlets in Sheffield City with un-manned flats, it will soon become dodgy. I can see the Waingate area becoming an extension of Wicker/Burngreave, full of "gangsters", drug dealers, chavs and deadbeats.

Right, so the estate I live on which is at least two miles away from any sort of major retailer is a "no-go area" in your opinion, people walking around the streets around my house don't feel safe at all in the evening?

You really do exaggerate.

Edited by ECCOnoob
  • Like 2

11 minutes ago, ECCOnoob said:

Right, so the estate I live on which is at least two miles away from any sort of major retailer is a "no-go area" in your opinion, people walking around the streets around my house don't feel safe at all in the evening?

You really do exaggerate.

I know of a family who lived on the Monteney Estate in Ecclesfield and had to move in the end, they were bullied by local gangs and even had their house set fire to. So, yes I would say it is a no go area, I certainly wouldn't feel safe walking around there alone.