Castle House Co-Op Closing Down

On 18/06/2023 at 19:41, ECCOnoob said:

Or in the alternative, one could think positive and consider that the empty retail units could be converted into the more residential or student accommodation or mixed use which could bring increased footfall to the bars and food court. 

The old Argos is already changing into a bowling centre, parts around High Street and Fitzallan sq are already transforming into university buildings or student attractive businesses or residential.

As I have said earlier on the thread, the castle house co-op was an outdated relic which I'm surprised has lasted as long as it did.  The department store that surrounded it has long been closed. It's store format was old school and not what most of its target shoppers want and need in its location.  Since it's original heyday, several rival supermarkets have opened up around it. One of which is another co-op but in a much more modern, accessible and convenience format in line with its nationwide business model.

Castlegate is far from being 'a no-go area'.   It is just changing. As I have said dozens of times it is not just shops. The city has a far wider purpose than that.

Take a look at what is happening all around Castlegate onto Bank Street, Campo Lane, Love Street, West Bar down to the start of Neepsend Look what's springing up or the sorts of building conversions being done with millions of pounds of investment. All residential and student accommodation bringing people back into living close to the city as is happening all over the world. That is the new purpose for the area. That is the direction it's going - has been now for several years.

https://www.tenpin.co.uk/our-locations/sheffield/

Opening just before Xmas.