Castle House Co-Op Closing Down

2 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

I must be missing something.

Although I'm not a fan of Sheffield council,  I fail to see  why the closure of individual Co-Op societies is down to the council.

They were businesses, quite distinct from the council who had no hand in their running at all as far as I am aware so I don't understand the point your post is making.

Their boards of management are stuffed to their hilts with Labour councillors, in reality a societies Chief Executive Officer, Accountant/Secretary and Departmental Managers are at the behest of the Board Of Management.

4 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

It really isnt. The Co-Op is a rip off, there is a brand new Lidl just opened round the corner, the recently opened Tesco Express on Fargate is probably the same pricing, you already have another Tesco Express and Sainsburys Local nearby too.

Its only a "bad day" for nostalgia freaks.

As said in another thread, I had to go in the Co-Op recently and it was 70p for a tin of chopped tomatoes. It wont even be half that in the Lidl.

As for the rest of the old Co-Op building, that is now being used by other enterprises. 

Most well known supermarkets charge around  £1 for a single tin of tomatoes these days.

3 minutes ago, blackydog said:

Most well known supermarkets charge around  £1 for a single tin of tomatoes these days.

Asda charge 32p (or 34p, may have gone up recently) for their cheapest ones, and as said the Co-Op charged 70p, they do offer a cheaper range according to Google but the Co-Op shop I was in certainly didnt stock it, or even have an empty space for them.

I have always found the Co-Op to be more expensive than their competitors. As I said, its no loss (bar possibly jobs going)

Edited by HeHasRisen
  • Like 1

2 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Asda charge 32p (or 34p, may have gone up recently) for their cheapest ones, and as said the Co-Op charged 70p, they do offer a cheaper range according to Google but the Co-Op shop I was in certainly didnt stock it, or even have an empty space for them.

I have always found the Co-Op to be more expensive than their competitors. As I said, its no loss (bar possibly jobs going)

Co-Op are very expensive and seem to pick locations where they can get away with it. I (regrettably) Moved from Yorkshire Bank (because their cust service was appalling) to Co-Op bank, which is almost as bad. 1 branch serving Sheffield. 

• Thanks 1

22 minutes ago, crookesey said:

Their boards of management are stuffed to their hilts with Labour councillors, in reality a societies Chief Executive Officer, Accountant/Secretary and Departmental Managers are at the behest of the Board Of Management.

Right mate, thanks

I wasn't aware of that at all.

They certainly have gone downhill. I remember shopping at Co-Op for my mum in the 1940's and even still remember our divi number.

They were good shops for the working class in those days, which stopped other local shops from overcharging too much.

16 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

Right mate, thanks

I wasn't aware of that at all.

They certainly have gone downhill. I remember shopping at Co-Op for my mum in the 1940's and even still remember our divi number.

They were good shops for the working class in those days, which stopped other local shops from overcharging too much.

The best example of power in the wrong hands that I’ve heard of was a Society President (head of board) who was employed as a butcher by the same society. He was instructed by the board of management to fire the Society’s  Chief Executive Officer, which he did, on his boss’s birthday, how about that for power?

1 hour ago, blackydog said:

That's not true though is it

https://groceries.morrisons.com/products/morrisons-savers-chopped-tomatoes-in-tomato-juice-207703011

https://groceries.asda.com/product/tinned-tomatoes/just-essentials-by-asda-chopped-tomatoes-in-tomato-juice/19560

• Like 2

1 hour ago, hackey lad said:

“ in an area of Sheffield described as up and coming “   😂😂😂

It's an area that has great potential if only they could properly sort it out.

but it's had great potential for decades, and still hasn't drug itself out of the gutter.