Castle House Co-Op Closing Down

• 1 month later...

The Co-Operative Food in Sheffield City Centre (Angel Street) is to close in July 2023.

It's a great shame, especially for shoppers who don't drive, as the store was adjacent to a convenient taxi rank. The store has always been busy when I have been in. I would guess it has become victim to Sheffield City Clowncil's obsession with moving everything to The Moor. When Wilkinson's goes, that will be it for that end of the city centre.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

The Co-Operative Food in Sheffield City Centre (Angel Street) is to close in July 2023.

It's a great shame, especially for shoppers who don't drive, as the store was adjacent to a convenient taxi rank. The store has always been busy when I have been in. I would guess it has become victim to Sheffield City Clowncil's obsession with moving everything to The Moor. When Wilkinson's goes, that will be it for that end of the city centre.

Is Wilkinson’s going as well ? It’s a dead hole in that part of Sheffield now. Biggest mistake closing the market and opening that one down The Moor. If they thought it would work being next to the Outdoor Market , they were wrong, as that is a flop as well !

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, pattricia said:

Is Wilkinson’s going as well ? It’s a dead hole in that part of Sheffield now. Biggest mistake closing the market and opening that one down The Moor. If they thought it would work being next to the Outdoor Market , they were wrong, as that is a flop as well !

Patty love, the old market was falling to bits and not for for purpose.  This has been done to death. Nostalgia only gets you so far. 

12 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Patty love, the old market was falling to bits and not for for purpose.  This has been done to death. Nostalgia only gets you so far. 

I would rather have a market falling to bits but with Character, than a new one with no character.

• Like 4

30 minutes ago, pattricia said:

I would rather have a market falling to bits but with Character, than a new one with no character.

Markets World wide are part of the history of Towns and City, From Bangladesh to Bangalore  ,from Castleford to Capmandooo they are the meeting place , the noisy place , the smelly fish ,meat and spices fill the air with aromas from brewing  beers to kerb side coffee shops .

Only Sheffield planners , Councillors could be so stupid as to alter that . The First meeting place in our City .

Lets hope they find that bleeeedin Castle. so as the tourists can start poring into Castle Gate supping  Gin and tonic at the Bull and Mouth .

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Markets World wide are part of the history of Towns and City, From Bangladesh to Bangalore  ,from Castleford to Capmandooo they are the meeting place , the noisy place , the smelly fish ,meat and spices fill the air with aromas from brewing  beers to kerb side coffee shops .

Only Sheffield planners , Councillors could be so stupid as to alter that . The First meeting place in our City .

Lets hope they find that bleeeedin Castle. so as the tourists can start poring into Castle Gate supping  Gin and tonic at the Bull and Mouth .

I suppose that now that the City Centre has ended up being devoid of life and history, it can be dug up and explored to the historian’s pleasure, and good luck to them.