Castle House Co-Op Closing Down

59 minutes ago, Irene Swaine said:

All of my life it's been run down it seems, obviously it was more vibrant when the market was there. I can't ever recall The Gallery terrace stores/cafes/salons being open, they must have closed over 20 years ago, despite the retro signage looking pristine. 

I remember around 10 years ago, maybe more, some riff raff having a huge argument outside Shoe Zone there and one of the women shouting to all the on lookers "I'm a f****** druggy, so what"... And we'd always be approached at the bus stop by someone selling stolen goods. It used to be good for people watching down there.

35 years ago , Castle Market, Sheaf Market and all the galleries were busy and full of life . Obviously times have changed and it will take time to get it nice there again.  Hope  I get to see it .

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, hackey lad said:

35 years ago , Castle Market, Sheaf Market and all the galleries were busy and full of life . Obviously times have changed and it will take time to get it nice there again.  Hope  I get to see it .

Spot on Hackey,

My favourite part of town, bustling, great atmosphere, full of characters, like you say, times have changed...

Those times will never come back unfortunately.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, ECCOnoob said:

Right, so the estate I live on which is at least two miles away from any sort of major retailer is a "no-go area" in your opinion, people walking around the streets around my house don't feel safe at all in the evening?

You really do exaggerate.

Where do the  roughest inhabitants of Attercliffe -say all of Attercliffe Road and Common and streets to the sides- now live?

I’ve inadvertently ended up in a wrong part of London, and immediately realised my error. IMHO Sheffield has never had any ‘no go’ areas, you can run across the wrong folk anywhere, I recall a self proclaimed Manor born hard man having a pop at me in a pub in S17, I don’t know what surprised him more, the smack in the mouth or my Manor birth place. 😉

2 minutes ago, crookesey said:

I’ve inadvertently ended up in a wrong part of London, and immediately realised my error. IMHO Sheffield has never had any ‘no go’ areas, you can run across the wrong folk anywhere, I recall a self proclaimed Manor born hard man having a pop at me in a pub in S17, I don’t know what surprised him more, the smack in the mouth or my Manor birth place. 😉

He was probably surprised that there were 2 people from Sheffield in London at the same time 😜

On 18/06/2023 at 14:31, Irene Swaine said:

As far as I know, Wilkinson's is staying...for now but I can't see it staying much longer at that end of the city centre. That and B&M are the only stores down there now that attract large footfall. 

I don't think the new markets have what people want. There is a distinct lack of greetings card shops, pick and mix stalls, emporiums and British food stalls. So many exotic food stalls in a British market is never going to generate high footfall. I am sure some people will want to be adventurous with their pallet, and I am not against having a stall for things like that, but the sheer number of them for Sheffield markets is excessive and the stall holders always look bored. A cheese monger, hot meat counter like Crawshaw's, pie stalls etc are what would attract more custom. And they need to get rid of the chuggers at the entrance, flipping annoying and off-putting.

So a full set of

Different cafe shops for hot food

6 "british"butchers selling meats, cheeses, pies

A "British" Fish and Seafood stall

4 "British" fruit stalls

2 "british" card shops

2 "british" bakers

4 international food shops

a cobbler

A "British" Beer shop

Newsagent

as well as various clothing and tech stalls are not enough for you?

https://sheffieldmarkets.com/traders/moor-market

1 hour ago, sheffbag said:

So a full set of

Different cafe shops for hot food

6 "british"butchers selling meats, cheeses, pies

A "British" Fish and Seafood stall

4 "British" fruit stalls

2 "british" card shops

2 "british" bakers

4 international food shops

a cobbler

A "British" Beer shop

Newsagent

as well as various clothing and tech stalls are not enough for you?

https://sheffieldmarkets.com/traders/moor-market

I don't mean the Butchery with the dead pheasants hanging at the front. I mean a Crawshaw's style one. 

There should also be more high end stalls, such as a gourmet burger bar,  upmarket microbrewery, attract some of these hipster students that have moved in behind Atkinson's.