Extending Lease On Scc Freehold Flat

Hi there,

I own a flat which is an ex Council property and need to consider extending the lease at some point, as the number of years remaining has dropped below 90. I've been there more than the required 2 years so I am entitled to extend the lease. Sheffield City Council own the freehold. It won't be an option to buy the freehold as most of the flats in my block still belong to SCC.

I'm aware that there is potential new legislation coming which would reduce the costs for leaseholders and lease extensions, so I will probably hold fire for now. However I wondered if anyone had any experience of extending a leasehold on a flat with SCC and if they could advise on roughly how much this cost? Was this a long and/or difficult process?

Many thanks :)

Edited by vics63
amending spelling

12 hours ago, vics63 said:

I'm aware that there is potential new legislation coming which would reduce the costs for leaseholders and lease extensions

hot air, most of these false promises get lost or watered down to nothing, as no minister does anything positive anymore ...  if they attempt it, they'll get reshuffled or voted out of post before it's implemented.

Edited by fools

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/05/2023 at 10:52, geared said:

This new law has been coming in for quite some time, I wouldn't count on it.  The longer you leave it, the more an extension is going to cost you.

It's a gamble waiting.

True. Do not wait. Use procedure (s.42 of the Leasehold Reform, Housing and Urban Development Act 1993.

See https://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/1993/28/section/42

Edited by Jeffrey Shaw
  • Thanks 1