Artificial Intelligence (Ai) - Blessing Or A Curse?

1 hour ago, Mr Bloke said:

Hmmm... :huh:

If I might (for once) ask a (few) serious question(s) here...

This AI malarkey has been around for donkey's years - it's just an advanced form of automation - but why has it just 'exploded' in the last few months?

What has caused all this recent hype that it's about to take over the World?

Has some 'unknown' corporation got a vested interest in it, and they've decided the time is now right to promote it as the bee's knees...

... or is it just because it's been made available to the average 'man on the street person on the keyboard' and their limited intelligence has been blown away by the term 'Artificial Intelligence' and the fact that the dumbest of the dumb are now able to do things that much more talented people have been achieving for years through their own efforts?

But AI is not some 'super being/creature' from a science fiction novel that knows all there is to know and is willing to tell anyone the meaning of life providing they ask it the right question.

AI can obviously make decisions quicker than humans, but it only 'knows' what humans have previously 'told it', and 'learns' and makes it's 'decisions' based on 'trial and error', albeit MANY 'trial and errors'.

Please tell me if this is wrong... :suspect:

Which is pretty much exactly how humans learn. 

We are getting close to the 'uncanny valley' with robots.

And will soon be asking what 'consciousness' really means,

and what separates humans from AI.

I think people need to watch the programme to see where we are.

1 hour ago, Mr Bloke said:

This AI malarkey has been around for donkey's years - it's just an advanced form of automation - but why has it just 'exploded' in the last few months?

Has some 'unknown' corporation got a vested interest in it, and they've decided the time is now right to promote it as the bee's knees...

... or is it just because it's been made available to the average 'man on the street person on the keyboard' and their limited intelligence has been blown away by the term 'Artificial Intelligence' and the fact that the dumbest of the dumb are now able to do things that much more talented people have been achieving for years through their own efforts?

But AI is not some 'super being/creature' from a science fiction novel that knows all there is to know and is willing to tell anyone the meaning of life providing they ask it the right question.

AI can obviously make decisions quicker than humans, but it only 'knows' what humans have previously 'told it', and 'learns' and makes it's 'decisions' based on 'trial and error', albeit MANY 'trial and errors'.

over the past few months everybody seems to be using ChatGPT to see what it can do, think theres more companies investing and developing AI now too over the past couple of years, certainly hear about them more.

It was also pretty recently one of the main forebears of AI left the company he was developing it at and warned of future problems too

ChatGPT is amazing. Many companies use it already. I find it worrying in equal measure.

I also saw a video about 10 tools that work to enhance chatGPT which made it even more amazing, and they are all here and now. I don't have the knowledge or the language to be able to describe what they do, but they already can replace humans in videos, and you really can't tell the difference.

That's not the same as robotics, but now robots can do much that humans can do.

Put the two together and you could have a problem...  

Edited by Anna B

3 hours ago, Mr Bloke said:

This is wrong and you did say to tell you.  It's not automation at all.

Too difficult to explain quickly but Channel 3 Yorkshire has a program about it after Emmerdale and you should watch.

It can watch videos of people and then mimic their voice and mannerisms,  phone up  and convince a mother that it's her own daughter speaking and crying so that she believes it.

Criminals are already using it and it's  Very Very scary and that's just a start.

Would you like your own kids to phone you and leave you wondering whether it's really them or AI?

Who can we believe and who can we trust except people we are face to face with?

57 minutes ago, Anna B said:

ChatGPT is amazing. Many companies use it already. I find it worrying in equal measure.

I also saw a video about 10 tools that work to enhance chatGPT which made it even more amazing, and they are all here and now. I don't have the knowledge or the language to be able to describe what they do, but they already can replace humans in videos, and you really can't tell the difference.

That's not the same as robotics, but now robots can do much that humans can do.

Put the two together and you could have a problem...  

Just seen a bit on News about this .  A video of "Zelensky " telling his troops to give up and go home . Very realistic but totally fake . Scary stuff . 

18 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

phone up  and convince a mother that it's her own daughter speaking and crying so that she believes it.

Criminals are already using it

what is the source of this information

Edited by fools

Oh dear! :roll:

What a load of cobblers that programme was...

... did anyone learn anything they didn't already know?

As I thought, it's just a 'catchall' term to group together a lot of technological wizardry... just advanced automation!

What's REALLY scarey is that a lot of people will be taken in by it as some sort of 'alien' super power.

The worrying question to ask is WHY has it suddenly got so much publicity?

And to anyone who says it's much more than automation, I would ask, at what point does automation become AI?

The answer I have is that automation becomes AI when you can interact with it in a natural way, such as writing or speaking, and you don't have to learn complex languages or procedures in order to 'communicate' with it.

So in reality, it's just a user friendly interface to a group of otherwise technical processes...

... a bit like when Windows OS replaced DOS! :hihi:

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr Bloke said:

Oh dear! :roll:

What a load of cobblers that programme was...

It's early evening ITV...

managing to crowbar men being lonely saddos talking to a cartoon character, knife crime, breast cancer, and a fake child kidnap into a 25 minute programme was quite impressive though, all topped with some fake non-AI code shots. Clearly all aimed at a certain demographic.

Edited by fools

1 hour ago, fools said:

what is the source of this information

It was in the programme. It happened. Daughter told mother amid sobs that she'd been kidnapped.

It wasn't her daughter it was AI. 

They tried to con her into giving them money.