Should 16 & 17 Year Olds Be Allowed To Vote?

LOL its funny...and a little bit scary that suddenly theres a right wing reaction to Labours plans and calling it vote rigging, yet The Tories attempt by demanding Voter ID knowing full well it will impact poorer labour voters most, yet voter fraud being miniscule never got the same amount of anger.

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, Resident said:

That argument would hold weight IF 16/17 year olds were deployed. They aren't, not until they're 18, the current voting age.

Well haven't we seen a display of YOUR maturity, are you really that immature that you have to resort to name calling a news outlet?
The reason TikTok is relevant is that it's controlled by a foreign power, one that is known for covert interference through propaganda. 16-18 year old are susceptible to such influence due to their emotional and intellectual immaturity. This is a KNOWN scientific fact.

The idea that you are allowed to ban people because of  what you decide is "...emotional and intellectual immaturity..." is clearly silly. Consider the display of  "...emotional and intellectual immaturity..." at any football ground.

The view that 16 &17 year olds are"...(are) all trying ot get famous via TikTok " is clearly silly. Less than 25% of TikTok users are 19 or younger.

That it is a "... KNOWN scientific fact" that "...16-18 year olds are susceptible to such influence due to their emotional and intellectual immaturity" easily disprovable when you consider how advertising works.

1 minute ago, Annie Bynnol said:

The idea that you are allowed to ban people because of  what you decide is "...emotional and intellectual immaturity..." is clearly silly. Consider the display of  "...emotional and intellectual immaturity..." at any football ground.

The view that 16 &17 year olds are"...(are) all trying ot get famous via TikTok " is clearly silly. Less than 25% of TikTok users are 19 or younger.

That it is a "... KNOWN scientific fact" that "...16-18 year olds are susceptible to such influence due to their emotional and intellectual immaturity" easily disprovable when you consider how advertising works.

Indeed, the lad that leaked all those Ukraine secrets etc was 21

24 minutes ago, melthebell said:

LOL its funny...and a little bit scary that suddenly theres a right wing reaction to Labours plans and calling it vote rigging, yet The Tories attempt by demanding Voter ID knowing full well it will impact poorer labour voters most, yet voter fraud being miniscule never got the same amount of anger.

How is it "Right Wing" to question if a child should have the right to vote?

Also, If youre over 18 and you dont have valid ID like a passport, driving licence or bus pass then you need to sort your life out 

Youre always trying to paint poor people as victims but most know how to put on shoes in the morning

Besides im not sure what constitutes being poor in the UK anymore......no one is starving 

Edited by Jack Grey
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

How is it "Right Wing" to question if a child should have the right to vote?

Also, If youre over 18 and you dont have valid ID like a passport, driving licence or bus pass then you need to sort your life out 

Youre always trying to paint poor people as victims but most know how to put on shoes in the morning

Besides im not sure what constitutes being poor in the UK anymore......no one is starving 

Look at who your'e moaning about who are advocating it, then look at who tried rigging the election yet failed.

Personally speaking  i have never fancied going abroad, driving isn't my thing, i'm not old enough for a bus pass, why should i sort my life out?

last two of your comments don't even warrant an answer

2 minutes ago, melthebell said:

Look at who your'e moaning about who are advocating it, then look at who tried rigging the election yet failed.

Personally speaking  i have never fancied going abroad, driving isn't my thing, i'm not old enough for a bus pass, why should i sort my life out?

last two of your comments don't even warrant an answer

I assume youre an adult and you have no Photo ID what so ever?

I guess national ID cards would benefit someone like you

38 minutes ago, melthebell said:

how does it?

give me a scenario where you cant get voter ID or not  do a postal or proxy vote

It didnt seem to affect Labour that much in the elections two weeks ago did it

Edited by sheffbag

5 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

I assume youre an adult and you have no Photo ID what so ever?

I guess national ID cards would benefit someone like you

why should i need one to address a problem that didn't exist? and was changed to address a problem that doesn't exist?

Again it's funny you'll find any excuse to agree with what the Tories did as it's the Tories, but as soon as Labour come up with a plan that might help Labour, your'e up in arms about it.

3 minutes ago, sheffbag said:

how does it?

give me a scenario where you cant get voter ID or not  do a postal or proxy vote

It didnt seem to affect Labour that much in the elections two weeks ago did it

again i'll repeat what i said above

why should i need one to address a problem that didn't exist? and was changed to address a problem that doesn't exist? As for your second point, the Tories underestimated things and their plan backfired, that doesn't mean it wasn't their plan all along though.

11 minutes ago, melthebell said:

why should i need one to address a problem that didn't exist? and was changed to address a problem that doesn't exist?

Again it's funny you'll find any excuse to agree with what the Tories did as it's the Tories, but as soon as Labour come up with a plan that might help Labour, your'e up in arms about it.

Its nothing to do with left or right...........I take every debate or policy at face value

Voter ID was brought in to tackle voter fraud.......i dont know if it was an issue

I guess there arent that many people in the UK that dont have some form of ID.....even if its just a provisional driving license so its probably a few thousand

Youre also assuming that most "poor people" vote for Labour when at the last election they voted for the Tories

However, Labour are proposing to give 2 million teenagers the vote so i doubt you can compare it with voter ID

Edited by Jack Grey

9 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Voter ID was brought in to tackle voter fraud.......i dont know if it was an issue

In the U.K., notwithstanding its longstanding absence of compulsory ID, voter fraud was not an issue, by any stretches of the imagination.

“voter fraud” was the oh-so-thin-its-thinner-than-gossamer excuse to bring in the measure.

It did not work. No more than the electoral boundary-fiddling will.