Should 16 & 17 Year Olds Be Allowed To Vote?

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

I have a child who is 15 and I can assure the OP that they are far better mentally equipped to weigh up the issues before voting than the OP is, and they're not even 16 yet. 

Yeah?

Does your 15 year old have a full time job?

Do they pay taxes?

Do they run a business?

Do they have a mortgage?

If your 15 year old is so well equipped then let them get a tattoo, drink alcohol or smoke

Let them stay out all night at a bar or nightclub

Let them get on Tinder

Im sure they'll be fine

Edited by Jack Grey

37 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Yeah?

Do they pay taxes?

Do they run a business?

Do they have a mortgage?

If your 15 year old is so well equipped then let them get a tattoo, drink alcohol or smoke

Let them stay out all night at a bar or nightclub

Let them get on Tinder

Im sure they'll be fine

none of thats what he meant, he meant they have brains, a political nuance, neither of which you and yer mates on here possess

11 minutes ago, melthebell said:

none of thats what he meant, he meant they have brains, a political nuance, neither of which you and yer mates on here possess

That's presuming that 16/17 year olds are all have the political nuance of Delbow's children?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, cressida said:

That's presuming that 16/17 year olds are all have the political nuance of Delbow's children?

My point was that many adults lack the political nuance of my children, yet they are allowed to vote. So I see no evidence that allowing 16 to 17 year olds to vote would dilute the electoral 'gene pool', so to speak.

15 minutes ago, Delbow said:

My point was that many adults lack the political nuance of my children, yet they are allowed to vote. So I see no evidence that allowing 16 to 17 year olds to vote would dilute the electoral 'gene pool', so to speak.

Perhaps just to be controversial, but A. N. Wilson speaking on Times Radio this morning said he thought 16/17 year-olds should be given the vote but it should be taken away from those over 70.

Edited by horribleblob
Edited to add: Wilson is 72.

3 minutes ago, horribleblob said:

Perhaps just to be controversial, but A. N. Wilson speaking on Times Radio this morning said he thought 16/17 year-olds should be given the vote but it should be taken away from those over 70.

Well, if you were going to equate age with cognitive ability, it's downhill from about age 50 so that would exclude the boomers 😊 If the voting age does drop I'm going to enjoy it immensely, because a lot of boomers do very well out of the status quo and have done for a long time, and the idea that other people might need to get something out of our electoral system will have some of them wetting their pants and having some very big tantrums.

1 hour ago, Jack Grey said:

Yeah?

Do they pay taxes?

Do they run a business?

Do they have a mortgage?

(…)

Many immigrants tick all these boxes, and more (volunteering with local organisations and whatnot).

I take it from your reply, that you don’t have a problem having them vote in a GE…so long as they’re 18 and have ID…

…Right?

3 hours ago, sheffbag said:

oh i agree with you but the question was for compulsory ID. Perhaps we should go the Argentina route and make it compulsory to vote. 

<I’m not completely against the notion, much as it might surprise some on here 😉>

8 minutes ago, L00b said:

Many immigrants tick all these boxes, and more (volunteering with local organisations and whatnot).

Thats a bit of a silly question really isnt it

Immigrants aren't British citizens are they?

Its why i cant vote in the US elections.....im not a citizen 

19 minutes ago, Jack Grey said:

Thats a bit of a silly question really isnt it

Immigrants aren't British citizens are they?

It’s why i cant vote in the US elections.....im not a citizen 

But you are not an immigrant into the US, are you?

I thought I’d give your double standards a chance to shine. You did not disappoint 😁

• Thanks 1

Just now, L00b said:

But you are not an immigrant into the US, are you?

I thought I’d give your double standards a chance to shine. You did not disappoint 😁

Im not sure what youre talking about now 🙄

Im guessing that its your definition of immigration that is confusing

You said that i believe that immigrants shouldn't be allowed to vote and i said that if they are not British citizens then no they shouldn't be able to vote

Not sure if this response is gonna disappoint you or not