Kids Stressed Due To Hard Sats Test Oh Dear!

3 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

can you find any of the controversial reading questions online????? that has caused so much stress? i can only find last years

Of course not. However there is this thing called "talking", whereby people will talk to each other about things that have happened. Sometimes teachers "talk" about things they have seen and done and this talking may have been in my direction at me. Try it sometimes. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

Why this year’s Sats reading paper was so difficult

This week pupils took a reading test that led to school leaders calling for testing reform – but what was the problem with the paper? Tes investigates the numbers behind the words

This week, Year 6 pupils in England sat down to take their hour-long key stage 2 reading test - the third paper of six during the 2023 Sats week.

The reading paper has caused huge controversy this year among primary teachers and leaders (and pupils) - not because of the content but because of the length of the texts and the difficulty of the questions.

In the reading booklet, children were asked to read a total of 2,106 words split into three separate texts. This is one of the longest reading booklets ever used in the KS2 tests - and almost at the limit of the 2,300 words for the texts that is set as the maximum number.

Furthermore, the Department for Education’s guidelines say that a Sats pupil is expected to be able to read a minimum of 90 words per minute. 

This means reading the booklet alone would take 23 minutes and 30 seconds, leaving just 36 minutes and 30 seconds to answer the test questions.

But this isn’t the only reading that pupils are expected to do in the hour-long test. 

In the section of the test book that poses the questions to pupils, there are many more words to be read - 1,337 in fact. 

That will take our 90-words-a-minute reader another 14 minutes and 51 seconds to read - but we will round that up to 15 minutes to give them time to turn the pages.

So there are now just 21 and a half minutes to answer 38 questions - meaning you have to give an answer every 34 seconds (this includes the time it will take to go back and re-read a passage to get their answer).

Full article here...

https://www.tes.com/magazine/analysis/primary/why-years-sats-reading-paper-was-so-difficult

12 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

can you find any of the controversial reading questions online????? that has caused so much stress? i can only find last years

Looks like it's not about controversial questions. More a case of too much text and not enough time.

Our class were all ready to take the Science G.C.E.  when the science teacher came in at the last minute to announce - with apologies - that everything we had learnt during term time wasn't on the paper,  not being interested in science at the time I had learnt all about the refrigerator off by heart - when I opened the exam paper there was a picture of a frog staring at me!

11 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Of course not. However there is this thing called "talking", whereby people will talk to each other about things that have happened. Sometimes teachers "talk" about things they have seen and done and this talking may have been in my direction at me. Try it sometimes. 

so if they have been talking about it they must know about the questions?? i havent seen any questions on the reading paper ...have you???

11 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Why this year’s Sats reading paper was so difficult

This week pupils took a reading test that led to school leaders calling for testing reform – but what was the problem with the paper? Tes investigates the numbers behind the words

This week, Year 6 pupils in England sat down to take their hour-long key stage 2 reading test - the third paper of six during the 2023 Sats week.

The reading paper has caused huge controversy this year among primary teachers and leaders (and pupils) - not because of the content but because of the length of the texts and the difficulty of the questions.

In the reading booklet, children were asked to read a total of 2,106 words split into three separate texts. This is one of the longest reading booklets ever used in the KS2 tests - and almost at the limit of the 2,300 words for the texts that is set as the maximum number.

Furthermore, the Department for Education’s guidelines say that a Sats pupil is expected to be able to read a minimum of 90 words per minute. 

This means reading the booklet alone would take 23 minutes and 30 seconds, leaving just 36 minutes and 30 seconds to answer the test questions.

But this isn’t the only reading that pupils are expected to do in the hour-long test. 

In the section of the test book that poses the questions to pupils, there are many more words to be read - 1,337 in fact. 

That will take our 90-words-a-minute reader another 14 minutes and 51 seconds to read - but we will round that up to 15 minutes to give them time to turn the pages.

So there are now just 21 and a half minutes to answer 38 questions - meaning you have to give an answer every 34 seconds (this includes the time it will take to go back and re-read a passage to get their answer).

Full article here...

https://www.tes.com/magazine/analysis/primary/why-years-sats-reading-paper-was-so-difficult

Looks like it's not about controversial questions. More a case of too much text and not enough time.

in the real world you prioritise time and i guess priorotise the questions, answer the easy ones first to at least get some marks and return to the difficult ones afterwards????? is that not the best way??

18 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

so if they have been talking about it they must know about the questions?? i havent seen any questions on the reading paper ...have you???

The two Y6 teachers I have spoken to  did as they had half an hour before handing out the papers to take a look. This is allowed. They didnt provide specific details other than saying the overall paper was "easily of a GCSE standard". Hope this helps, or are there any further questions?

18 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

in the real world you prioritise time and i guess priorotise the questions, answer the easy ones first to at least get some marks and return to the difficult ones afterwards????? is that not the best way??

In the real word people see the mega difficult questions in an already pressurised environment and setting and go into a tizz straight off the bat. Even adults do this. How are you expecting 10 and 11 year old to react? 

Edited by HeHasRisen

13 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

The two Y6 teachers I have spoken to  did as they had half an hour before handing out the papers to take a look. This is allowed. They didnt provide specific details other than saying the overall paper was "easily of a GCSE standard". Hope this helps, or are there any further questions?

In the real word people see the mega difficult questions in an already pressurised environment and setting and go into a tizz straight off the bat. Even adults do this. How are you expecting 10 and 11 year old to react? 

well i cant wait to see some of these questions of easily gsce standard lol

oh yes sorry nobody needs stress do they especially the little darlings?? well how the hell do you think they will cope in the real world?? delicate little snowflakes no wonder this country is screwed, being put under pressure builds character and leaders.

2 minutes ago, ab6262 said:

well i cant wait to see some of these questions of easily gsce standard lol

oh yes sorry nobody needs stress do they especially the little darlings?? well how the hell do you think they will cope in the real world?? delicate little snowflakes no wonder this country is screwed, being put under pressure builds character and leaders.

They are 10 and 11 year old kids ffs, your expectations are far too high. 

17 hours ago, Mister Gee said:

How many qualifications did you leave Silverdale with Andy?

17 hours ago, ab6262 said:

Actually probably none!... hard work and perseverance (got me where I wanted to be)

What happened to your hard work and perseverance when it came to schoolwork?

2 hours ago, Palomar said:

What happened to your hard work and perseverance when it came to schoolwork?

i picked and chose what i wanted to learn, managed to do enough to be able to achieve my life's goals and earn good money thanks!

3 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

It was a general point. How emotionally developed do you expect 10 and 11 year olds to be? 

more than the currently are!