Chuggers!

4 minutes ago, BigAl1 said:

It is not unusual t be asked if you wish to round up a payment for charity and I do not mind as long as it is open and transparent and I am not conned into it.

However this question was about chuggers and yes I do object to them and I would have thought if you complain to the store manager he will be able to move them off their property but can do nothing about it if they are on the pavement.

They are likely in the store with full approval from the store and/or Head Office, the Sainsbury's near the Cathedral tram stop on town seems to constantly have on inside the entrance on the left as you go in, they wouldn't be there if they didn't have permission. 

The more people who complain about it, the less likely they are to approve it going forward. 

23 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Complain to the supermarket then and vote with your feet. 

I was going to but I’m not sure if it’s worth the hassle. I’m thinking a better idea might be to actually sign up to their direct direct with a made up name and bank details.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Fair enough. Some shops they ask you regardless of method on the self service tills. You can always press the No button anyway, and then its job done. Least you arent being blackmailed to do it like with the chuggers.  There is usually one in the Sainsburys near the Cathedral tram stop too.

To be fair thats better than what WH Smith did for years, which was try to aggressively flog you chocolate at the manned tills.

They used to have chuggers inside WH Smith on Fargate too. Very pushy ones too so I stopped going there.  Personally I’m not bothered about being asked if I’m interested in buying some chocolate or whatever near the till.  Chuggers though are the absolute pits.  

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, redruby said:

They used to have chuggers inside WH Smith on Fargate too. Very pushy ones too so I stopped going there.  Personally I’m not bothered about being asked if I’m interested in buying some chocolate or whatever near the till.  Chuggers though are the absolute pits.  

I don't mind the big issue sellers, atleast they are trying. 

I would never give money to any beggar. If I was the store manager, I'd be telling the vagrants to go away. Tesco on West Street need to do this, as they are on their property, and have left a disgusting stain on the step outside the fire escape. 🤮🤮

Don't let them put you off going to places you enjoy. You can ignore them. They don't deserve your attention. Or you can give them a firm 'no' or 'not interested ', or you could say 'my money is for me to spend'. If we all give them a cold reception, it will make begging less appealing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Irene Swaine said:

I don't mind the big issue sellers, atleast they are trying. 

I would never give money to any beggar. If I was the store manager, I'd be telling the vagrants to go away. Tesco on West Street need to do this, as they are on their property, and have left a disgusting stain on the step outside the fire escape. 🤮🤮

Don't let them put you off going to places you enjoy. You can ignore them. They don't deserve your attention. Or you can give them a firm 'no' or 'not interested ', or you could say 'my money is for me to spend'. If we all give them a cold reception, it will make begging less appealing. 

As repellent as chuggers are I don’t think they leave a disgusting stain behind  🤣

1 minute ago, Irene Swaine said:

See for yourself, there was some brown stain on the cove at the back of the crucible too. 

Chuggers eh? Not content with harassing poor customers doing their shopping to sign up to paying a charity a direct debit, they pee in alleyways and leave disgusting stains. 

On 19/05/2023 at 05:45, redruby said:

No, chuggers.  Unless the hobos are now operating in-store equipped with clipboards and a sales patter to sell direct debits.

Yes, those are equally annoying too. I am surprised the stores let them in, it must be bad for business.

There used to always be some on Fargate, but not seen any recently. One was working for Dogs ' Trust. He said to me "are you a dog lover madam?" , I replied "no, I hate them". That shut the conversation down easily. 🤣

• Like 1