Are Letters Held Back & All Posted On Same Day?

3 hours ago, redruby said:

if you’re not happy with it, then what?  You have to contact them to let them know, which likely means phoning. And negotiating. Which I consider a pain in the backside even if you don’t.

too many if's  - dd amount is based on estimates of what you use per year

in the unlikely event that they are setting it too high, and refuse to budge, you can login to internet banking and cancel the direct debit or move provider.

millions of households routinely pay all sorts of bills by dd without problem. £10k should soothe the imaginary aggro

Edited by fools

21 minutes ago, fools said:

too many if's  - dd amount is based on estimates of what you use per year

in the unlikely event that they are setting it too high, and refuse to budge, you can login to internet banking and cancel the direct debit or move provider.

millions of households routinely pay by all sorts of bills by dd without problem. £10k should soothe the imaginary aggro

Yes, for a fixed sum split into monthly payments, unlike energy.   I pay  council tax, water bills, tv licence etc by direct debit but it’s a different arrangement.
I know people who have had a lot of difficulty getting refunds for overpayments from energy providers.  If a customer owes them money though they don’t seem to work at a snails pace though.  Funny that.

Edited by redruby

40 minutes ago, redruby said:

Yes, for a fixed sum split into monthly payments, unlike energy.   I pay  council tax, water bills, tv licence etc by direct debit but it’s a different arrangement.
I know people who have had a lot of difficulty getting refunds for overpayments from energy providers.  If a customer owes them money though they don’t seem to work at a snails pace though.  Funny that.

I have literally said twice now there is a thing called VARIABLE Direct Debit, whereby you don't pay the 7% premium, the meter is read monthly and they only take what you use, I even provided a link, are you choosing to ignore this? 

Edited by HeHasRisen

1 hour ago, redruby said:

water bill is variable just like a 3 monthly gas/electric variable direct debit, for most people a fixed dd is simpler and more convenient - a lot of people seem to get in a fuss about being a couple of hundred in credit, it''ll get used in winter in most cases, so neither here nor there. BG are supposed to review it, and refund any credit over £75 annually.

as you are paying online on receipt of bill, rather than by cheque, are you actually paying a higher rate than DD customers?

If they fitted it, I'd also be on their case about the smartmeter, rather than be faffing about with readings in this day and age

Edited by fools

10 minutes ago, fools said:

water bill is the same as a 3 monthly gas/electric variable direct debit, for most people a fixed dd is simpler and more convenient - a lot of people seem to get in a fuss about being in credit, it''ll get used in winter in most cases. BG are supposed to review it, and refund anything over £75 annually.

as you are paying online on receipt of bill, rather than by cheque, are you actually paying a higher rate than DD customers?

If they fitted it, I'd also be on their case about the smartmeter, rather than be faffing about with readings in this day and age

‘Supposed to review it and refund anything over £75’.  That statement doesn’t inspire confidence I’m afraid.

The smart meter! What a joke! We have asked if they’d replace it. They reply ‘of course we will, we’ll ask the meter people to get it touch’.  They don’t. Frankly, it’s easier to look at the meter and send readings 4 times a year than faff about calling them and going round in circles.  It takes a couple of minutes, if that to log on and send meter readings.  What’s the average wait calling them I wonder?  They are clearly not interested in replacing the meter. And for the marginal benefit of not sending readings, ‘getting on their case’ is not worth the effort.

Anyway, let’s leave it here, and agree to disagree.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, HeHasRisen said:

I have literally said twice now there is a thing called VARIABLE Direct Debit, whereby you don't pay the 7% premium, the meter is read monthly and they only take what you use, I even provided a link, are you choosing to ignore this? 

Looks like he is choosing to ignore me full stop now. Another for the friends list. 

I’ve read that smart meters can be remotely switched into prepayment mode or used to disconnect supply by energy companies which has raised concerns about this adversely affecting vulnerable customers.  After seeing the news not long ago about the bully boys they sent to break into the homes of vulnerable customers to fit prepayment meters, I’m not convinced they can be trusted to always follow proper procedures for vulnerable customers in difficulty that have smart meters.

• Thanks 1