Are Letters Held Back & All Posted On Same Day?

it's plain daft to pay more and do it the hard way because you've read some scare stories. Millions of people pay bills by direct debit, because it's cheaper and far less hassle. You can cancel a direct debit at any time.

as for the postal system, it's abysmal, constantly late or missing, and regular dumps of other people mail  through the wrong letterbox

Edited by fools

15 minutes ago, redruby said:

We pay quarterly with British Gas but do it online rather than getting bills in the post.  We just set up an online account through their website.

I do both. Get a bill through the post and then pay online. 

2 hours ago, pattricia said:

I believe this is correct. Last week I got a gas bill dated a month previously saying that I hadn’t paid my gas bill.( I had ! ) This bill had been held back by the P.Office. 

I rarely need to receive a letter next day. However, if the sender has paid for first class it does not seem they are getting the service they have paid for.

6 hours ago, fools said:

it's plain daft to pay more and do it the hard way because you've read some scare stories. Millions of people pay bills by direct debit, because it's cheaper and far less hassle. You can cancel a direct debit at any time.

as for the postal system, it's abysmal, constantly late or missing, and regular dumps of other people mail  through the wrong letterbox

It’s in the interests of the energy companies to have people on direct debits.  Many customers prefer it because it spreads the cost evenly.  But the fact remains that they are at liberty to change the payments at their will and getting a refund for overpayment is often a lot of hassle and takes ages.  They are in control of the payments, not you, basically. It’s one of those things sold as ‘convenient’ that is on the surface a no brainer but isn’t universally wonderful, like going cashless.  

As for post, in my experience it’s usually very good. Except for the postman who delivered parcels to various different neighbours if we weren’t in but didn’t put a card through the door to say where they were. 

Edited by redruby

7 hours ago, redruby said:

Yes, and the energy companies estimate your monthly bills and can change the amount at their will dipping their grubby hands into your bank account.  And if you overpay don’t be surprised if there is hassle and delay getting a refund. No thanks, even with the premium.

I suggest you do some research, there are Direct Debit plans available where they only take the amount you have used that month.  I assume you didn't realise that given your posts above. 

As for estimating, well if you don't sent readings in then yes they will do that, whose fault is that? 

6 hours ago, pattricia said:

I do both. Get a bill through the post and then pay online. 

In which case you are needlessly paying 7% more. 

Ask British Gas to put you on a Variable Direct Debit

https://www.britishgas.co.uk/help-and-support/bills-and-payments/setting-up-a-direct-debit

The one Redruby was ranting about is the Fixed Direct Debit. Some people don't like those which is fair enough. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

5 hours ago, redruby said:

basically. It’s one of those things sold as ‘convenient’ that is on the surface a no brainer but isn’t universally wonderful, like going cashless. 

it is a no-brainer, it's no different to any other DD -, they have to tell you and justify any increase beforehand, you have a DD guarantee if it goes wrong, and you can terminate the DD at any time, so you have complete control.

If it's in their interests, it's also in yours, which is why it's normally cheaper than paying by cheque or cash. £202/yr x 50 years is 10K .. a significant saving. Some companies pay interest on the credit balance too.

Yes, they have to tell you if there’s an increase in the direct debit but if you’re not happy with it, then what?  You have to contact them to let them know, which likely means phoning. And negotiating. Which I consider a pain in the backside even if you don’t. 
As for estimating bills, we got a smart meter after being pestered about it for ages by BG.  It was sold as ‘convenient’ and ‘putting us in control’.  It stopped sending readings after about 5 years and they’re not interested in replacing it so we’ve reverted to sending the readings.

Ive no problem with direct debits for those that want them, but they are not as wonderful as some make out.

Edited by redruby

15 minutes ago, redruby said:

Yes, they have to tell you if there’s an increase in the direct debit but if you’re not happy with it, then what?  You have to contact them to let them know, which likely means phoning. And negotiating. Which I consider a pain in the backside even if you don’t. 
As for estimating bills, we got a smart meter after being pestered about it for ages by BG.  It was sold as ‘convenient’ and ‘putting us in control’.  It stopped sending readings after about 5 years and they’re not interested in replacing it so we’ve reverted to sending the readings.

Ive no problem with direct debits for those that want them, but they are not as wonderful as some make out.

Did you not read the bits on the link I posted whereby they will only take out each month the actual amount you have used if you ask them to? 

If your provider doesn't offer that (usually called Variable Direct Debit or similar) or is being difficult about it, vote with your feet and move to somewhere that does. Octopus is my suggestion. Paying 7% more when it's not cheap to begin with is ludicrous. 

Obviously a Variable DD will mean in summer they take less than in winter. 

Edited by HeHasRisen

2 hours ago, HeHasRisen said:

Did you not read the bits on the link I posted whereby they will only take out each month the actual amount you have used if you ask them to? 

If your provider doesn't offer that (usually called Variable Direct Debit or similar) or is being difficult about it, vote with your feet and move to somewhere that does. Octopus is my suggestion. Paying 7% more when it's not cheap to begin with is ludicrous. 

Obviously a Variable DD will mean in summer they take less than in winter. 

I know too many people that have had aggro from direct debits to switch to them, so thanks but no thanks.