White Theatregoers Urged Not To Attend Play Aimed At Black Audiences

2 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

Your thoughts?

The easily triggered and the hard of thinking will be outraged by this. Outraged, I tell you.

The rest of us will realise that theatres put on special performances all the time.  The play runs for a month. Anyone can go to any performance.

• Like 4

8 hours ago, BigPP said:

https://www.stratfordeast.com/whats-on/all-shows/tambo-and-bones#BookingDetails

BLACK OUT performance: Wed 05 Jul, 7.30pm - Frequently Asked Questions

As part of the run of the show, we will be hosting our first ever BLACK OUT performance on Wed 05 Jul at 7.30pm.

While this performance has been arranged for Black audience members specifically, no one is excluded from attending.

WHAT IS A BLACK OUT?

“A BLACK OUT night is the purposeful creation of an environment in which an all-Black-identifying audience can experience and discuss an event in the performing arts, film, and cultural spaces – free from the white gaze.” blackoutnite.com

Originated by Jeremy O. Harris for his play Slave Play, the very first BLACK OUT night took place on Broadway in 2019. The initiative was brought to London during the run of his show Daddy at the Almeida Theatre as he felt it was important for Black theatregoers to be able to experience sitting in a theatre space where the whole audience looks like them.

Director Matthew Xia said "Over the last few years, a number of playwrights and directors in the US and the UK have created private and safe spaces for Black theatre-goers to experience productions that explore complex, nuanced race-related issues. I felt that with a play like TAMBO & BONES which unpicks the complexity of Black performance in relation to the white gaze, it was imperative that we created such a space."

I just wouldn't go to this show because i want to avoid "The Black Gaze"

Not sure what's funnier, the " avoid white gaze" statement or the fact that lefty white folk are straining their leftyness to breaking point and pretending they actually think it's ok!!

😂

Edited by Al Bundy

1 hour ago, Al Bundy said:

Not sure what's funnier, the " avoid white gaze" statement or the fact that lefty white folk are straining their leftyness to breaking point and pretending they actually think it's ok!!

😂

It's not the left that's straining at this story mate

• Like 1