Police Letting Anti Social Types Get Away With Stuff.

3 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

Joking aside Padders, give me your reason or reasons why the two institutes wouldn't work.     In the mid sixties there were two real teenage scally wags lived on our street, if they wanted something they would just take it,  be it your bike or something on a washing line they spotted and liked,  you have heard of  a cash and carry, well to them it was a no cash just carry,  well anyhow these two got six penneth in Borstal,   a few days after their release I saw them and I said jokingly did you enjoy your holiday, one broke down in tears and his mate said, we don't want to talk about it because it was living hell,  to this day them two never got in bother again and these days have two grown up respectable families.  Padders if you  had known the two lads at the time you would have thought the same as me and others, there is no hope for these two.  The only two that Borstal wouldn't bother in those days would be the Kray twins.

There was an 'Approved School' not far from my school,  think it was for girls only and I'm not sure if it's still there - what on earth did Borstal used to do to inmates, seems as though it was violence against petty crime.

11 minutes ago, cressida said:

There was an 'Approved School' not far from my school,  think it was for girls only and I'm not sure if it's still there - what on earth did Borstal used to do to inmates, seems as though it was violence against petty crime.

I would assume an approved school was for truents and habitual naughty school kids.   Since you posed the question on  Borstal, I spoke to one of the two lads brother a few weeks later and mentioned I had spoke to the pair and mentioned they were both devistated he replied with a bit more detail,  saying in there its the law of the jungle,  the majority are chucked in Dorms where sleep is virtually none existant due to homesick kids crying at one side or an heavy snorer on the other side of you then there are frequent visit from bullies maintaining or  trying to promote their positions in the pecking order,  its a case of bad boys living with bad boys. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, liam1412 said:

Because the education system is broken, child services are broken, and the mental health system is in crisis.  Also I am assuming you have never been in a prison cell! It's not cushty like you make out.  My mental health was ignored for 25 years.  Despite repeated visits to doctors and an insistence by myself there was more, I was told anxiety and depression, take these SSRIs and mediate for your boohoo's. I was fully broken for 25 years and ignored blatantly.  I have ADHD and Sooo much unresolved Trauma I didn't even know existed.  Add to that my life been in complete chaos because of the undiagnosed ADHD.  And because I had no clue I was told I was just lazy and **** all that time.  I can tell you as fact, if I didn't have my 3 little bunbles of "protective factors" I wouldn't be here today.  I had a friend who was in a similar position about the same time.  Only one of us made it through.  The world is  in a mental health pandemic.  We have lost complete touch with the real meaning of it all, and I'd hazard a guess that most of the parents of these hoodlems have unresolved stuff like I did.  I fixed myself with research and introspection. Not everyone has that skillset or ability.  It was tough ok.  It's a miracle I'm not a hoodlem tbh.  But I do have some maladaptive coping mechanisms just like the hoodlems do.  I just get high and sit at home though.

The world is broken, stop blaming the kids.  It's unfair to hold someone to account for standards they sometimes don't even know exist, and in someways are almost impossible to achieve, without a sheer grit and determination that not everyone is fortunate enough to have. 

RIP the 2 lads.  

A really honest post.

It sounds like you developed a lot of self awareness without very little help from the system.

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Always someone else's fault eh?

You obviously missed the bit where he spoke about those protective factors which helped him, and the fact that he took responsibility for his own mental health and worked on it.

The army prisons ran on strict discipline and had few people returning.

The difference was that on release soldiers returned to their units where they had a roof over their heads, clothes on their back and food in their stomachs.

Years ago when we had large numbers in the armed forces youths who were just drifting or from problem backgrounds could join (15 for boys service) and be part of an organisation where they were taught discipline, self respect, belonging, adventure training and opportunities to learn a trade or progress in promotion.

The travel experienced broadened horizons.

For many it broke the cycle of their past behaviour and peer group plus taught them to take responsibility for their actions and not blame others for their failings.

Edited by harvey19

37 minutes ago, Mister M said:

A really honest post.

It sounds like you developed a lot of self awareness without very little help from the system.

You obviously missed the bit where he spoke about those protective factors which helped him, and the fact that he took responsibility for his own mental health and worked on it.

And you obviously missed the bit saying they think the education system is broken, the world is broken, child services are broken.....

Always someone else's fault as much as I salute their recovery.

Edited by Al Bundy

20 hours ago, Organgrinder said:

That's the only real problem with modern society.   nobody  IN AUTHORITY  cares

No, they care far too much about stuff which has hardly any risk and does not really matter but is easy to prohibit (Iike banning me filming my own child racing in a swimming gala), but not enough about stuff like uninsured (or even stolen) motorbike riders, which is  far more serious but more difficult to stop.

Edited by Chekhov

56 minutes ago, PRESLEY said:

I would assume an approved school was for truents and habitual naughty school kids.   Since you posed the question on  Borstal, I spoke to one of the two lads brother a few weeks later and mentioned I had spoke to the pair and mentioned they were both devistated he replied with a bit more detail,  saying in there its the law of the jungle,  the majority are chucked in Dorms where sleep is virtually none existant due to homesick kids crying at one side or an heavy snorer on the other side of you then there are frequent visit from bullies maintaining or  trying to promote their positions in the pecking order,  its a case of bad boys living with bad boys. 

I know a lad who at 16 served  3 months in a detention centre . It was very strict.  Grown up to be a  law abiding man .

18 hours ago, The_DADDY said:

SYP let drivers and motorbike riders drive and ride at ridiculous speeds along my road every single day. I consider that very antisocial as well as dangerous. No matter how many times they are reported nothing is done despite speeds often being Well over 100mph. 

Maybe we have to wait for a big crash with fatalities before they pull their finger out 🙄

Ahh road safety, people have a very poor knowledge of risk probability in this country, During the pandemic it made me laugh that some friends of ours in their mid 40s were literally scared of Covid but never though twice about driving around in their car, yet statistically they were more likely to die in a car accident than of Covid, and most other things come to that.

The roads are statistically speaking, pretty dangerous (infinitely more times as "dangerous" as me videoing my lad racing at a  gala....) and I have no time for those who, for instance, don't want any speed cameras around. I'd like one on the main road through Oughtibridge, in fact more than one, and preferably hidden.

16 hours ago, Mister M said:

That's why I've not commented on this case. There's an awful lot that we don't know about it.

We're talking generally MM.

3 hours ago, liam1412 said:

The world is broken, stop blaming the kids.  It's unfair to hold someone to account for standards they sometimes don't even know exist, and in someways are almost impossible to achieve, without a sheer grit and determination that not everyone is fortunate enough to have. 

Sorry ?

They were running away from the police, but it wasn't their fault ?

Have I got that right ?

Remember when ?

Children left school. Boys went into an apprenticeship and girls went to Commercial College ? So it’s all down to boredom with these motorbike accidents. Oh, and remember when fights were settled by fists ?( and not knives ?)

Edited by pattricia