Sf Posters Age Group.

I had 3 years off in my early 30s and it didn't suit me, I became a bit antisocial. But then I retired at 50 a few years ago and it feels totally normal, I walk a lot, garden, play in a band, go on day trips, cruises, holidays, keep my old mam entertained, shop and cook. I feel like I could do it forever, or die in the attempt.

On 27/05/2023 at 11:34, hackey lad said:

Do you mean Senior School  ?

Yes, or in my case Secondary Modern which was' ruled by the rod' and one step away from a borstal.

Left at 15 and began my education in earnest whilst working.

I found out later in life whilst at Uni that only 20% (and less in some areas) of 11 year old pupils were awarded a place at grammar school. The remaining 80% were expected to accept what life offered in terms of work.

Never understood the rationale of the 11 plus test and how unfair the system was to so many youngsters.

echo.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, echo beach said:

Yes, or in my case Secondary Modern which was' ruled by the rod' and one step away from a borstal.

I found out later in life whilst at Uni that only 20% (and less in some areas) of 11 year old pupils were awarded a place at grammar school. The remaining 80% were expected to accept what life offered in terms of work.

Never understood the rationale of the 11 plus test and how unfair the system was to so many youngsters.

echo.

Thanks . Hate the term High School, too American 

6 hours ago, echo beach said:

echo.

When my single Mom, went to school to ask why the top student in the class could fail the 11 plus twice, dear old Mr Stockley told her grammar school required a stable family (with a father, presumably :) ) with the resources to support a commitment to my further education, and it would be best for all, if I got a job at 15 to support her and my kid brother.

I never blamed them, and went on like many to educate myself.

I had the last laugh 50 years later, in semi retirement, as guest teacher at one grammar school for 4 terms, and a 3 year stint as Science Link Governor at another, sitting on all the Committees.

Even got a personally signed letter from Education Secretary Charles Clark, thanking me on my "retirement", for my devotion to education!

That, and about 15 quid every  month in pension earnings from Lincoln County Council!

10 minutes ago, trastrick said:

When my single Mom, went to school to ask why the top student in the class could fail the 11 plus twice, dear old Mr Stockley told her grammar school required a stable family (with a father, presumably :) ) with the resources to support a commitment to my further education, and it would be best for all, if I got a job at 15 to support her and my kid brother.

I never blamed them, and went on like many to educate myself.

I had the last laugh 50 years later, in semi retirement, as guest teacher at one grammar school for 4 terms, and a 3 year stint as Science Link Governor at another, sitting on all the Committees.

Even got a personally signed letter from Education Secretary Charles Clark, thanking me on my "retirement", for my devotion to education!

That, and about 15 quid every  month in pension earnings from Lincoln County Council!

Same here Trasty , Although I have never caught up with the education I have longed for  , Left the Prince Edwards school of how well you are dressed counts on  a Friday ,      Started work on the following Monday with a bloody shire horse , ( See first day at work and end up with a horse )   on these pages .

7 hours ago, echo beach said:

echo.

I went to grammar school as did some of my friends from a council estate.

We never looked on ourselves as superior and were friends with those who did not pass.

in fact I am still friends with 2 pals I have known 71 years and they did not pass the exam.

No one has ever said they felt inferior or rejected because they failed the 11 plus exam.

One very important fact is that apprenticeships began at 15 years old and the leaving age for grammar school was 16. This fact stopped me getting an apprenticeship.

Those going to secondary school if able could go to technical college at 13 or reapply for a grammar school place. Some secondary schools allowed pupils to stay on an extra year to take exams.

Personally I did not take full advantage of the opportunities offered by attending a grammar school but realise in later life the GCEs I passed there helped me to train for a career.

30 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

Same here Trasty , Although I have never caught up with the education I have longed for  , Left the Prince Edwards school of how well you are dressed counts on  a Friday ,      Started work on the following Monday with a bloody shire horse , ( See first day at work and end up with a horse )   on these pages .

I got a break.

A local council joiner used to spend a lot of time on my Grandma's house drinking tea, but mostly waiting for Mum to show up from work at teatime.

They got married a couple of years later, and I was finally free to pursue my dreams in Canada. They went on give me three young sisters.

That joiner was your old next door neighbor, Gordon Humphries, if you recall!

1 hour ago, trastrick said:

I got a break.

A local council joiner used to spend a lot of time on my Grandma's house drinking tea, but mostly waiting for Mum to show up from work at teatime.

They got married a couple of years later, and I was finally free to pursue my dreams in Canada. They went on give me three young sisters.

That joiner was your old next door neighbor, Gordon Humphries, if you recall!

Recall well ,smashing neighbours we used to borrow sugar etc from each other , My old ma used to say . "Nip next door and ask Mrs Humphries to lend me a bit of sugar "    . it was wrapped up in a bit of news paper and dispatched back and forth . Remember Gordens sister to , was it Madge ??????

Edited by cuttsie