'Me Too' And Phillip Schofield

11 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

Fewer people talk about stuff like BLM but I cannot remember anyone ever saying to me that "taking the knee" was a worthwhile thing to do, it's just pointless virtue signalling that achieves nothing at all. It certainly has no positive effect on racist people, or even mildly racist people. Quite the opposite I would have thought.

People make symbolic gestures all the time regarding subjects that they feel strongly about.

Whether it achieves anything who knows.

Did the  banner attached to your shop change anyone’s existing views on their e posture to Covid.

I doubt it so was it pointless?

4 hours ago, Chekhov said:

>>There's no suggestion that Schofield demanded sexual favours<<

I did not say he had.

I suggested you look up the definition of casting couch because you appear to have a warped interpretation of what it is about. I again suggest you do so. It is absolutely about a person in power demanding sexual favours in exchange for help.

>>demanded sexual favours<<

What exactly does that mean ?

It's not exactly WWII in Russia where if the person doesn't consent they don't eat is it ?

Selectively quoting part of a sentence so you can argue against a few words take out of context is not the sign of someone confident in their argument. My sentence was "There's no suggestion that Schofield demanded sexual favours from the young man in return for helping him get a position in the industry."

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

>>it always turns out to be what he thinks.<<

I have never said everyone agrees with me, you are misquoting me, again, and I don't even know what "deciding for others" even means. I am just reporting what people say to me, or not.

I have never talked to anyone who thinks ripping down historical statues is anything other than ludicrous.

Fewer people talk about stuff like BLM but I cannot remember anyone ever saying to me that "taking the knee" was a worthwhile thing to do, it's just pointless virtue signalling that achieves nothing at all. It certainly has no positive effect on racist people, or even mildly racist people. Quite the opposite I would have thought.

I seem to remember on another thread someone disbelieving me when I reported that hardly any parents agree with fines for term time absences of a week or so. The person arguing the point then went on to say they had no intention of asking any parents what they thought, nor did he accept the proof I put on from an opinion poll.

But, that's the problem with blinkered  keyboard warriors who don't get out often enough talking to real people. They think they actually know what the majority think.

No  you are misquoting me   -   I never said that at all.

Why don't you just state your view without transferring it to others and then quoting them.  That is just your attempt to tell us that you are not in the minority..

Nobody's mentioned taking the knee and I thought we had all forgotten the slight issue of the statue ( only one statue,  as far as I know),,  and  who cares about virtue signalling other than you?

What I said regarding school fines was that,  laws don't cease to apply if a certain number of people disagree with them so your argument wasn't valid and the laws, quite rightly,  still apply.

I have no idea what the majority think but, unlike you,  I don't try to imply that I do.  I talk to plenty of ordinary sensible people ( don't know whether you would consider them as "real people though"). 

1 hour ago, altus said:

I suggested you look up the definition of casting couch because you appear to have a warped interpretation of what it is about. I again suggest you do so. It is absolutely about a person in power demanding sexual favours in exchange for help.

Selectively quoting part of a sentence so you can argue against a few words take out of context is not the sign of someone confident in their argument. My sentence was "There's no suggestion that Schofield demanded sexual favours from the young man in return for helping him get a position in the industry."

We're going round in circles here.

Nobody in a free western society not at war can "demand" anything, certainly not in the sense that existed in, say, WWII.

Young starlets allowing themselves to be bedded because it may help their careers is most unsavoury, but that is their choice entirely.

I am suggesting that Schofield bedding a much younger man who wanted to get into television is no different, and just as unsavoury.

22 minutes ago, Organgrinder said:

What I said regarding school fines was that,  laws don't cease to apply if a certain number of people disagree with them so your argument wasn't valid and the laws, quite rightly,  still apply.

I have no idea what the majority think but, unlike you,  I don't try to imply that I do.  I talk to plenty of ordinary sensible people ( don't know whether you would consider them as "real people though"). 

School term time holidays : I said that very few parents approve of fines for taking a child (with an otherwise good attendance record) out of school for one week a year

You said, certainly heavily implied, I was in the minority, just speaking for myself, and as such was being selfish, only thinking of myself. In fact you may even have used the word "narcissistic" (a word have used more than once whenever your arguments are failing, a common ploy when losing : play the man not the ball).

I put you right, pointing out I was speaking for the majority (post the 7 month Covid school shutdown, I am speaking for the vast majority) but you refused to accept it.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

6 minutes ago, Chekhov said:

School term time holidays : I said that very few parents approve of fines for taking a child (with an otherwise good attendance record) out of school for one week a year

You said, certainly heavily implied, I was in the minority, just speaking for myself, and as such was being selfish, only thinking of myself. In fact you may even have used the word "narcissistic" (a word have used more than once whenever your arguments are failing, a common ploy when losing : play the man not the ball).

I put you right, pointing out I was speaking for the majority (post the 7 month Covid school shutdown, I am speaking for the vast majority) but you refused to accept it.

There are none so blind as those who will not see.

It makes no difference whatsoever whether you are in the majority or the minority.       The law still applies as it is not subject to how many people agree with it.

You are speaking for yourself unless you want the others to join up and post support.

We all represent our own views and nothing else but.    If others agree with what you say,  they will usually submit supporting posts and you can gauge their support from that.

Try Specsavers

1 hour ago, Chekhov said:

We're going round in circles here.

Nobody in a free western society not at war can "demand" anything, certainly not in the sense that existed in, say, WWII.

If you're going to make up new meanings for words, you are going to have to define them. The rest of us, fortunately, don't live inside your head, so if you use words to mean different things than are listed in dictionaries, we won't know what you're talking about.

Young starlets allowing themselves to be bedded because it may help their careers is most unsavoury, but that is their choice entirely.

I am suggesting that Schofield bedding a much younger man who wanted to get into television is no different, and just as unsavoury.

The only person suggesting that Schofield helped the young man get into the industry in exchange for sex is you. I pointed out the chronology means that can't apply - Schofield helped the lad years before their relationship started. That is why your mentions of starlets and Me Too is not relevant. It's just another attempt by you to shoehorn into an unrelated topic something you wanted to moan about anyway.

31 minutes ago, HeHasRisen said:

Won't be long until a Covid mention. 

Too late - he already did in post #35.