999 Calls For Mental Health

35 minutes ago, Delbow said:

Causes of poor mental health are complex and varied, but they include poverty and poor housing. 

I don't believe that is correct. Poverty may be a symptom of poor mental health.

Is poor mental health in third world countries through the roof?

The cause of mental health is rarely discussed. Poor parenting, caused by alcohol, drugs or gambling?

Is today's addiction to screens and mobiles making parenting poorer?

20 minutes ago, El Cid said:

I don't believe that is correct. Poverty may be a symptom of poor mental health.

Is poor mental health in third world countries through the roof?

The cause of mental health is rarely discussed. Poor parenting, caused by alcohol, drugs or gambling?

Is today's addiction to screens and mobiles making parenting poorer?

https://www.mentalhealth.org.uk/explore-mental-health/mental-health-statistics/poverty-statistics

As I said above, the causes of poor mental health are multi-factoral - plenty of people will try to link it to one cause because that's their particular hobby horse but reality doesn't align with that.

Comparing the mental health of different cultures is notoriously difficult because different cultures can conceptualise mental distress very differently. Given that this topic is about mental health in the UK, it's best not to try and extrapolate from the UK to, say, South Sudan.

Certainly being born with a disability, including mental ill health is a sure fire way to an impoverished life, but Poverty brings enormous stress which can lead very easily to mental ill health, rather than the other way round. Not being able to pay the bills which can ultimately lead to homelessness must be one of the most stressful situations imaginable.

Unfortunately that scenario is becoming all too common. 

1 hour ago, Delbow said:

Given that use of illegal substances is on the decline, categorically not. Especially as a high percentage of illicit drug use is driven by poor mental health rather than vice versa. 

Causes of poor mental health are complex and varied, but they include poverty and poor housing. 

There is less poverty and poor housing now than years ago.

Cannabis supposedly can cause mental health problems. Peter Hitchens has studied this.

9 minutes ago, harvey19 said:

There is less poverty and poor housing now than years ago.

Cannabis supposedly can cause mental health problems. Peter Hitchens has studied this.

Cannabis certain can trigger mental ill health, though more rigourous minds than Peter Hitchens have discovered this.

While I certainly think there is more preparedness for people to be open about their mental health struggles, which is a good thing; I wouldn't say that the issue of housing has eased. If anything it's gotten worse. I think that in the 50s, 60s and 70s a lot more social housing was built back then; and there certainly wasn't the huge waiting lists to get social housing like there is nowadays. 

That pressure of living in B&B accommodation for years especially if you have children must have an effect on someone's health.

24 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Cannabis certain can trigger mental ill health, though more rigourous minds than Peter Hitchens have discovered this.

While I certainly think there is more preparedness for people to be open about their mental health struggles, which is a good thing; I wouldn't say that the issue of housing has eased. If anything it's gotten worse. I think that in the 50s, 60s and 70s a lot more social housing was built back then; and there certainly wasn't the huge waiting lists to get social housing like there is nowadays. 

That pressure of living in B&B accommodation for years especially if you have children must have an effect on someone's health.

I don't disagree with you but when people speak of poor housing they probably do not remember some of the poor housing of the 1950s etc.in Sheffield.

I mentioned Peter Hitchens as he has aimed his studies at cannabis use and crime.

I have had experience of someone suffering from severe mental health problems and poverty and poor housing played no part in it. I think it is wrong to blame these 2 factors as they may play a part in some cases but  are not the only causes and I would ask what percentage of cases they are a contributory factor.

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

I don't disagree with you but when people speak of poor housing they probably do not remember some of the poor housing of the 1950s etc.in Sheffield.

I mentioned Peter Hitchens as he has aimed his studies at cannabis use and crime.

I have had experience of someone suffering from severe mental health problems and poverty and poor housing played no part in it. I think it is wrong to blame these 2 factors as they may play a part in some cases but  are not the only causes and I would ask what percentage of cases they are a contributory factor.

Yes there was poor housing in the 1950s, but what was different then to now, was that there were Governments who were committed to slaying the 'great evil' of squalor. The Great Depression and WW2 was something that was fresh in the minds of politicians, and there was a real commitment to tackling problems associated with housing.

With something as complex and varied as mental ill health there is unlikely to be a single cause, however there will be studies which have been done to establish the impact of poor housing on someone's health as there have been studies to establish the link between drugs and ill health.

1 hour ago, harvey19 said:

I literally said it's complex and multi-factoral.

2 minutes ago, Mister M said:

Yes there was poor housing in the 1950s, but what was different then to now, was that there were Governments who were committed to slaying the 'great evil' of squalor. The Great Depression and WW2 was something that was fresh in the minds of politicians, and there was a real commitment to tackling problems associated with housing.

With something as complex and varied as mental ill health there is unlikely to be a single cause, however there will be studies which have been done to establish the impact of poor housing on someone's health as there have been studies to establish the link between drugs and ill health.

I referred to the 1950s not to make political points but that it needs to be considered when using poor housing as a cause of mental health problems and whether it was considered to cause problems then and to what extent. Or in those years was poor housing only considered as a cause of physical health problems. 

4 minutes ago, Delbow said:

I literally said it's complex and multi-factoral.

Fully agree.