Wednesday Parade For Winning 3rd Tier Play Off.

Alextopman

5 minutes ago, NERVY-OWL said:

Yes you do, that's why I defended it when it came up as you can get a trophy for finishing 1st down to 6th, unless your second then it's nothing, that's why I kind of get why they give a trophy to 2nd place now.

I just mean I don't think the parade as such was mentioned, more the trophy part but I could be mistaken.

You're probably right, I think the idea of awarding  a trophy came about because it didn't seem quite right that the team that finished second got nothing to commemorate the achievement but a team finishing below them - sometimes four places below them - were presented with silverware to mark the occasion.

26 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

The Trophy is for winning a Final , not finishing 1st or 2cd  but A final after a knock out  competition .

The last time you got promoted they didn't get a trophy so you got your own.

I think the council got it for you.

Anyway if there's a trophy for coming 3rd 4th, 5th or 6th commons sense says a team doing better should get one.

Edited by Alextopman

18 minutes ago, cuttsie said:

The Trophy is for winning a Final , not finishing 1st or 2cd  but A final after a knock out  competition .

A league is there to provide proof of which teams are better than others, it is not the same as a knockout cup competition. For mainly financial reasons the football governing body decided to provide a twist at the end of the season, ignore the table  and turn a league into a cup competition.

Cup matches involve a far higher degree of luck than a league program.  In this instance justice was done Wednesday finished third, they deserved to go up because of that.

I didn't watch any of the playoff games but according to two Wednesdayite friends of mine they enjoyed a certain amount of luck, especially in the final.

Good, they deserved to go up,  they had proved to be the third best team in their league over the season and that's what it should be all about.

• Like 1

I think that the process of having play-offs is nothing more than a money making scheme for the FA,

The top teams, either two or three should get promoted.

Not have the season spun out to make money in dire financial times such as now,

As for the league status, a city  the size of Sheffield should have a  team, if not two, in the top league.

It was an embarrassment for the city.

I say well done to United and I have been an Owls supporter for many years. My brother and I were great  friends of Peter Swan when he was alive.

• Like 1

The most vocal poster about United getting a trophy for coming 2nd is no longer here …don’t think anyone really begrudges either clubs success this season & all that comes with it ….including open top buses & presentations at the town hall …

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Sheridan1-0 said:

The most vocal poster about United getting a trophy for coming 2nd is no longer here …don’t think anyone really begrudges either clubs success this season & all that comes with it ….including open top buses & presentations at the town hall …

Has my Pal Cuttsie left us?.

16 minutes ago, Alextopman said:

Has my Pal Cuttsie left us?.

I never mentioned United,  Just the fact that getting a cup  for coming 2cd is daft . 

The one the Owls have got is for  winning  added  on competition thought up by nut cases at Wembley 

The Owls came third in the league and should have gone up automatic .No cup just a meddle .

• Like 1

2 hours ago, cuttsie said:

I never mentioned United,  Just the fact that getting a cup  for coming 2cd is daft . 

The one the Owls have got is for  winning  added  on competition thought up by nut cases at Wembley 

The Owls came third in the league and should have gone up automatic .No cup just a meddle .

I don't think for one second anyone believes you wasn't talking about United when it is on a Blades/Owls page and United came second.

Wednesday won a cup for not being as good as Plymouth or Ipswich but Ipswich shouldn't get one, Is that what you're saying?.

Edited by Alextopman