John Arthur Siddall, Cameronians, Killed The Somme 1918

Hopefully someone can link this to a living relative; I have some photos of John Arthur Siddall, the son of Arthur and Mary Siddall, who lived at 12, Nottingham Cliff, Pitsmoor, Sheffield. He was killed aged 21 on 2th March 2018 at The Somme.

He was my grandmothers brother, she was called Bertha Siddall and married my grandfather Herman Kramer. Bertha died in 1941 in Plymouth.

Its a long shot I know, I have already contacted a couple of Kramer relatives with no luck - any help will be much appreciated.

Steve Ash

2 hours ago, SteveAsh said:

Hopefully someone can link this to a living relative; I have some photos of John Arthur Siddall, the son of Arthur and Mary Siddall, who lived at 12, Nottingham Cliff, Pitsmoor, Sheffield. He was killed aged 21 on 2th March 2018 at The Somme.

He was my grandmothers brother, she was called Bertha Siddall and married my grandfather Herman Kramer. Bertha died in 1941 in Plymouth.

Its a long shot I know, I have already contacted a couple of Kramer relatives with no luck - any help will be much appreciated.

Steve Ash

If your grandmother was anything like my grandparents then you’re on a upwards climb. This generation could remember everything but documented nothing.

3 hours ago, SteveAsh said:

Steve Ash

Hia. The other of his siblings may have married and had children,

so it is possible you could find some of them.

In 1891 the family were at 137 fowler Street. In 1901 they were at 155 Fowler Street.

Family:-

Arthur & Mary

ANNIE born c1883

BERTHA born c1885

AMY born c1887

JOHN ARTHUR born 1896

They were all born in Sheffield.    Ok regards Heartshome

• Like 1

Amy Siddall born 1887, was still at her father's Nottingham Cliff address in the 1921 Census. She married the lodger Ernest Lyinas Lowe in 1924.

In 1939 all three were living at 38 Crowland Road.

There doesn't appear to be any children.

Annie Siddall b 1883, married Joseph Edwin Lomas in 1910....interestingly the witnesses were Bertha Siddall and Herman Kramer.

It looks as though they had at least one daughter...Constance Mary born in 1911.

Constance Mary marries Cornelius W Wakefield in 1935. It seems a strong possibility they had Catherine M Wakefield in 1948.

Catherine M may well marry a Stephen W Davies in 1969.

Edited by sadbrewer
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, sadbrewer said:

Amy Siddall born 1887, was still at her father's Nottingham Cliff address in the 1921 Census. She married the lodger Ernest Lyinas Lowe in 1924.

Annie Siddall b 1883, married Joseph Edwin Lomas in 1910....interestingly the witnesses were Bertha Siddall and Herman Kramer.

It looks as though they had at least one daughter...Constance Mary born in 1911.

Constance Mary marries Cornelius W Wakefield in 1935. It seems a strong possibility they had Catherine M Wakefield in 1948.

Nice one! sadbrewer. It's good when we can all help a bit. Regards Heartshome 

3 hours ago, harvey19 said:

Have you sent for his army service record ? Many were destroyed in the blitz but many survived.

Have you looked at Commonwealth War Graves Commission site ?

He was Pvt 241059 J A Siddall ,Cameronians ( Scottish Rifles). He rose to acting Corporal and was reported missing on 25/3/1918. and was the subject of a Red Cross search.

He was previously 24200, York & Lancaster Rgt.

img%5D

Edited by sadbrewer

48 minutes ago, Heartshome said:

Nice one! sadbrewer. It's good when we can all help a bit. Regards Heartshome 

Thanks for that Heartshome, but I just built on your work to be fair.

I've found a tree on Ancestry that has Annie's GG Grandchildren on ...it appears to be a very competent tree, I'll contact the owner asap.

I've also found a newspaper snippet with photo of J A Siddall...unfortunately  Postimage is playing up at the moment.

https://imgur.com/5DJYFKC

Edited by sadbrewer
  • Like 1

On 31/05/2023 at 11:14, SteveAsh said:

Steve Ash

Might be interesting for you Steve...the Kramer family must have been getting some anti German problems.

img%5D

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/06/2023 at 15:32, sadbrewer said:

Thanks to a message from @sadbrewer on the Ancestry UK website, I've just found this thread.

Constance Mary Wakefield (nee Lomas) was my great aunt. She was always known as Mary and I remember her living in Pitsmoor when I was a child. It was her husband Cornelius (always known as Corny) who is my blood relative, and so the Siddalls are not related to me. Their daughter and son-in-law died fairly recently, however their grandchildren are still around and now live in Warwickshire and Norfolk. Assuming all the details are correct, they would be the great grand neices of the John Arthur Siddall in the article. I've also mentioned this to my Mum who remembers meeting an Amy and Kathleen who were relatives of my Auntie Mary.

Interesting to see mentions of both Fowler Street and Crowland Road in these posts as I have relatives who lived on both, although not from the same side of the family.