Poundland

2 hours ago, Al Bundy said:

Love Poundland. Not only do you get some reyt bargains you get to see all types of evolutionary errors.  Proper entertainment.

If looking at evolutionary errors is a favourite pastime you’d be better off walking up and down High Street.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, redruby said:

There are some that think the cost of living increases are being used by some businesses as an excuse for profiteering and I suspect it’s true

When I go food shopping and I look at the prices in the big supermarkets I moan and groan to myself, they are profiteering because of the Ukraine war.  If there has been a large increase in supermarkets profits in the last year then it does make you wonder if there is some profiteering going on, but I have no idea if they have increased their profits.

37 minutes ago, hauxwell said:

If there has been a large increase in supermarkets profits in the last year then it does make you wonder if there is some profiteering going on, but I have no idea if they have increased their profits.

it's something like £50 per person, per annum, nothing in the grand scheme of things

4 hours ago, fools said:

were they ever cheap, just sold tat no-one else wanted, and smaller chocolate bars than anyone else to meet the price point.

Back in the day pound shops sold a lot of end of line goods, familiar brands with foreign language packaging, stuff near its use by date, goods with seasonal packaging being sold out of season. So yes, there were some good bargains and there are some smaller independent shops still doing this but Poundland started having products manufactured for them, often smaller sizes than standard and low quality.  Now they sell a lot of items for more than a £1 and they have expanded their range and as I said it’s getting more like Woolworths.  I’m not sure it’s the best move in the longer term, 

Edited by redruby

True story . Many years ago , maybe 35 , a local lad ( entrepreneur  😀) I know , opened 2 shops . One a stall in Crystal Peaks market and another shop  opposite The Cannon / CO OP in town . 

Everything sold was a Pound or under . It was mostly household stuff . He didnt keep it up and moved on to other ventures . Wonder if he regrets it now ?

9 minutes ago, fools said:

it's something like £50 per person, per annum, nothing in the grand scheme of things

I don’t know where that figure is from but trying to stay on topic, I can think of several items sold by Poundland that until quite recently were a £1 and are now £1.50.  Not an increase to £1.10 or £1.20 but just one big jump from £1 to £1.50.  Have their costs truly increased by 50%?  

3 minutes ago, redruby said:

I don’t know where that figure is from but trying to stay on topic, I can think of several items sold by Poundland that until quite recently were a £1 and are now £1.50.  Not an increase to £1.10 or £1.20 but just one big jump from £1 to £1.50.  Have their costs truly increased by 50%?  

top of my head, retail (esp food) is a low margin business.

Poundland profits are about 180 million .. for 1000's of shops