Where in Sheffield was Peter Sutcliffe arrested?

Hi everybody. :)

A friend of mine has an interest in true crime and reads a lot about famous serial killers.

He lives in Manchester and is hoping to visit soon. He's asked me if I know where the Yorkshire Ripper, Peter Sutcliffe was arrested for the final time in Sheffield, as he'd like to go there.

I'm not too sure - for some reason I thought it was near the Cathedral - but I've read that it was actually in Broomhill.

Just wondering if anybody happens to know roughly where it was, or even the exact area where he was arrested?

Thanks.

When I was wee my mother used to pick me up from school on Melbourne Avenue and once happened to mention that the Yorkshire Ripper was caught there. Remember, I was about nine or ten. Who was this Yorkshire Ripper? I hadn't a clue but as far as I knew he was still out there, and I would wait for my mother practically peeing my pants in fright. Still get the creeps round there even now.

Interesting how he was caught by a very bright copper, he was sat in a car outside glossop road baths with a prostitute with the intention of killing her and had put the hammer behind a telephone servicing box. Of course most beat coppers know who the "characters " are on their beat and he recognised the girl. He became suspicious and looked behind the box,end of Peter Sutcliffe.

Hi,

It's across the road from King Edward VII School, Broomhill, next to the High School for Girls. I remember having to walk down that lane to one of our school's annex . In fact on the night he was caught I was walking up the road with a few friends & we were messing about in the driveway that leads up the avenue. You can imaging how I nearly **** myself when later I realised he'd been caught there. I also used to do a early morning paper round in that area & it came to light he'd been in Sheffield for sometime.:o

Archived