The Full Monty

cuttsie

5 hours ago, Hecate said:

Guardian gives it a thumbs down.

It sounds thoroughly depressing.  The film got the balance right; this sounds like being lectured at by a well-meaning social studies teacher. 

One of the writers is Alice Nutter of Anarchist Punk / Folk / Dance / Pop band Chumbawamba, its more political rather than about the comedy and stripping of the film apparently.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, melthebell said:

One of the writers is Alice Nutter of Anarchist Punk / Folk / Dance / Pop band Chumbawamba, its more political rather than about the comedy and stripping of the film apparently.

I saw that, and I'm sure her intentions were to make something entertaining not hectoring.  I'm just not sure that most people who watched and remember the film with such joy are ready to see poor old Horse be frail and struggling to survive on handouts thanks to having his disability benefits withdrawn.  But then it's Disney, so maybe the review makes it sound more depressing than it actually is.  Though rereading what I've just written there it sounds like a pretty tall order.

Wouldn't mind seeing where they filmed in Sheffield though.

8 minutes ago, Hecate said:

I saw that, and I'm sure her intentions were to make something entertaining not hectoring.  I'm just not sure that most people who watched and remember the film with such joy are ready to see poor old Horse be frail and struggling to survive on handouts thanks to having his disability benefits withdrawn.  But then it's Disney, so maybe the review makes it sound more depressing than it actually is.  Though rereading what I've just written there it sounds like a pretty tall order.

Wouldn't mind seeing where they filmed in Sheffield though.

Im interested in seeing it tbh, bit like the missus wasnt too into The Gallows Pole either said its boring with all of the awkward silences and "normal" conversations, but to me does add it to it rather than taking away from it, and it does remind me of This is england

• Like 1

12 hours ago, foxydebs said:

Just Disney, started watching first one before work this morning and it's narrated, hope all the episodes aren't going to be narrated.  I don't need someone telling me what is happening, just let the story flow.

30 minutes into EP1 , no narration so far ;)

At less than a quid an episode, looks like it would be worth paying for a month even  if thats all you want to watch !

The only thing that's a bit off , like the film, they tend to skip around locations randomly .

Good thing is, it's not overly woke like most programs on tv.

Big Baps any one ? 😂

I thought  the film was slightly overrated . Everyone was waiting for the last scene when the men stripped off. I would rather pay and see this latest one, in the cinema, as the atmosphere is better. I was surprised that the original film was a big hit in America, but I wonder if they could understand the Yorkshire accent ?